Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hand Throttle

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bdkmiller, Sep 22, 2002.

1. bdkmiller

bdkmiller Registered Member

My '72 came with a factory hand throttle installed on the right hand side under the wiper switch. The previous owner had it disconnected so I reconnected it. Now it looks like the bends on the cable are too tight to allow me to pull it. What's going on, is this the wrong place?
    Thanks,
    Brian
    '72 Blazer CST

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I had a '72 Jimmy. The hand throttle was up in the top right corner of the instrument panel.....from what I remember. It went down behind the dash from there to a bracket, then down to the throttle....I think.

3. J.Lance

J.Lance 1/2 ton status

I believe the hand throttles were always a little tough to pull by themselves. The manual throttle on my old '72 would work best by pressing down on the pedal with my foot and then pulling out the knob to match. My Blazer used to stumble at high altitude and I'd use it to keep the RPMs up for braking down hill, i.e. keep the vacuum stong to the booster. If it is still tough to pull out with the pedal pressed down, I'd suggest taking the cable out and spraying some lube down it or soak it in a tub of WD-40. Could be a little rusty or gummed up.

Jason

4. 1972_K5

1972_K5 Registered Member

I have the same setup on my '72. Mine is on the right side below the wiper switch. If you want let me know and I can take some pics of how the cable is hooked up and routed. BTW mine pulls pretty hard to get it on...and the same to get it off again. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. bdkmiller

Thanks guys,
    It seems like I had it hooked up correctly, in the right place. It is in very good shape but whenever I pull it the knob pulls off before the hand throttle does anything.
    But I got a new carb so I don't really need it any more.
    Thanks again,
    Brian

6. 1970Jimmy

1970Jimmy Registered Member

Is this set-up sensitive enough to use when trying to pull out on a steep hill (clutch+brake+accelerator=bad news). I am wanting some sort of hand throttle for situations like that in the woods...

7. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Mine's stiff enough that I don't think it would work too well. The stock manual throttle is more of a raise the engine rpm level to a specific level and leave it there kind of a thing until you don't need it revved up anymore.

8. bdkmiller

I don't think I would use the hand throttle on anything too risky. It doesn't seem to have the fine adjustments that one might want. It would be great for a PTO however.

Brian

9. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Beware! There are two different hand throttle setups. One is a vernier-adjustment unit that you screw/unscrew to make fine adjustments on and yank/push on to make the coarse adjustments. The other is a simple push/pull friciton setup that's easier to push or pull but doesn't hold adjustment as well. My '72 Blazer came with the screw adjustment type. The knob ahas to be screwed tight onto that type or it ain't going to work well.

10. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

For hand throttle when trying to do five things at once a ten-speed shifter mounted on the shifter is cool. You get used to using like chewing gum and walking.

11. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

I don't know much about these things, but would a motorcycle throttle work? Just curious. If it's a dumb question, just say so. You could stick a rod out of your dash and just put a twist throttle on it. Sounds fun.