Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hand throttles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Feb 28, 2005.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

there have been a few posts, but none of the pics work anymore. i need some ideas for when i put my sm465/np208 in.

is a bicycle shifter better or brake lever? i like that you can use the brake lever like a true throttle and gas it and let go and it go back to idle. but i also like with the shifter that it holds where ever you put it. maybe i could put both in:thinking:, thats just a lot of control cables :smirk:

how did you hook it to the carb? i have a junk cruise actuator that i could use the end off of, lets me use the gas pedal without coiling up the hand throttle cable.

what did you use and how close is it to the dash in creaper gear? doesn't look like there is too much room on my dads blazer.

so lets ses some pics

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

This one does both. I can turn the dial to stiffen it up, or loosen it. It's a shifter made by suntour, works in friction and non friction mode.

3. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hopefully I can get all my stuff done that I need to get done so I can come help with the swap. But not to sure yet. I'll let ya know by friday TJ

4. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I'm guessing the size of the carb return spring will determine how difficult it is to move the lever back and forth? Any issues with that?

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

where did you get that? a bicycle shop? what did it cost you?
    im not sure if i like how its mounted, i would like to hide the cable the best i can. it looks like it would stick out a bit. maybe i can find something that will work for me at the bicycle shop.

let me know jess, looks like it will be this weekend. probably take the old tranny/tcase out saturday and do everything else on sunday when/if you get here.

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

7. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

No pics, but I have a small brake lever off of a bicycle on my 4spd shifter. It is a thumb throttle and is great for taking off on hills. I just ran the cable down the shifter, thru the firewall, and up to the carb and hooked it beside the throttle cable.

8. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

I made a mount for mine that clamps ont the steering colom (looks like an auto shifter) compleat with bike grip and full size brake lever. I works GREAT, when I'm in the rocks it gives me some place steady to rest my hand whille I use it so I'm not goosing the gas acsedentaly. I used a bike brake cable (uni. 5 FT, $3.00 @ the bike shop) then cut it to length and crimped on a solderless eye (red one with 1/8" hole) then used a small machine screw with 2 nuts on it to bolt it to an un-used hole on the carb. Just put the screw through the eye, spin on the 1st nut(leaving no interfearance with the eye) slide through the carb, and spin the 2nd nut on the back side and tighten.
    This is one of the best things I could have done for my trail rig ;)

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Actually, I ran the cable down the shifter. It's out of the way and doesn't bother me a bit. I got the shifter from the link, but it's kinda old school, don't know if they still carry them. It was somewhere around 10 bucks though. I need to redo how the cable is mounted in the engine bay, that's my only problem. That's only because I have kind of a makeshift throttle cable bracket that I've been fighting with. When I loosen the shifter up, it's as if it's not even there, doesn't effect normal driving at all. It was a Suntour Pro XC Expert or something like that if you want to search for it.

The stiffness of the throttle return does determine the resistance in the lever, just as it does with the gas pedal. It's not bad though. Plus this thing can be tightened up to stand up to any amount of pressure, or loosened to go back to idle when released. I like to use it to bump up the engine speed when I'm using my york.

https://shop.sunrisecyclery.com/display/1605/0/