Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

handheld CB good for trail rides?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by 88jimmyoungowner, Aug 11, 2002.

1. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

are hand helds good on trail rides, which is the reason im gettin a CB. i need one so i can communicate, but i dont know if i need a ful blown one in the trail rig, any sujestions?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Hand held units do NOT have a very good range. I'd recomend getting a regular CB. Biggest thing is to get a good antenna !!!!!! I like the 102" whip, but they hit everythinng on the trails. Look into a K-40. I posted a link to Bigfoot Radio Repair. He sell's K-40's and new and used Radio's. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've got a hand-held that I sometimes use when spotting other folks. It makes it much easier to tell them what they should be doing. But for constant use the hand held just doesn't cut it. They use 8 or 10 double-A batteries and eat them pretty quickly. You can use a power feed from your cig lighter, but I've never been able to quiet it down once connected there. It gets a LOT of electrical noise, even after I installed filter caps and a choke coil. I'd suggest you just buy a cheapie CB and mount it solidly in your truck (the handheld will bounce all over the place if you don't come up with a way to restrain it).

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

just get a regular cb they work much better than the hand helds

5. ratpack7

ratpack7 Guest

you can buy a cheap radio shack speacial for trail use and the will cost about the same as a hand held If not cheaper.
    You wont get out very far but if its just for trail use it will get out far enough.

6. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

Get both, a handheld will not work worth a darn on the high way, but is nice to give your spotter one to tell you whats up!