Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Handling of Lifted K5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by anatomiczero, Apr 1, 2003.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to decide whether to lift my Jimmy or just get new front springs because they're bad. It handles good now, no body roll etc. If I put a 2-4" lift on it with 33x12.5" tires how would it handle?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm trying to decide whether to lift my Jimmy or just get new front springs because they're bad. It handles good now, no body roll etc. If I put a 2-4" lift on it with 33x12.5" tires how would it handle?

[/ QUOTE ] If you use a quality lift,(lots of people like Tuff Country, and BDS) it should handle just as good if not better then stock. With a 4" just remember to lower your swaybar. (disconnect Kit for off roading is a good idea IMHO).

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

it will feel.... different. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif As my rig has got higher and higher it remains drivable with respect to handling. Every time i mod my suspension it feels different when I drive it...a bit more "floaty"... but after a week or so I adjust and everything feels "normal" again. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif 4" of lift and 33s should be no problem, you'd still have a center of gravity that is nice and low so you should be fine, especially if you keep your factory anti-sway bar. If stability is REALLY a big deal to you, you might consider getting some 1.5" wheel spacers for your rear axle... having an equal track width front and rear is always a good thing.

j

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Mines all over teh road now and leans like you wouldn't believe in corners so I am hoping it actually gets better with the lift. Though I will be taking off the sway bar so we shall see. Sway bar isn't doing crap, all of its bushings are destroyed anyway.

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

It all depends on a a couple factors..the spring rate of the springs you want to use, and if they are soft springs, are you going to retain your swaybar for onroad use? I have a 6" lift (Stiff azz ProComp front springs/ 4" ORD flip w/ 2" TC springs rear) and it handles pretty damn well for a truck that is over 7 feet tall and that has NO swaybar. I attribute most fo the good handling (not-so nice riding, however) characteristics to the stiff ProComp springs...I drove Shawn's Potent Rodent and he has BDS springs at all corners and no sway bars and that damn thing rolls more than Cheech and Chong

When I first bought my truck, it had a Rancho 2.5" lift, front Quad Shocks, and front AND REAR swaybars and it handled better than my grandmas old pontiac 6000STE that i drove in high school... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

body mounts also have something to do with body roll...i ahve a 3" TC lift on mine and i tihnk it handles pretty well

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I should replace my body mounts so yeah it does. I do enjoy seeing people grab for handles(which of course there are none) when I take corners /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    When I first bought my truck, it had a Rancho 2.5" lift, front Quad Shocks, and front AND REAR swaybars and it handled better than my grandmas old pontiac 6000STE that i drove in high school... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a '77K20 in '83 with the worn out abused stock springs. I put a Ez-Ride Rancho 2.5" lift under it and it improved the ride and handling. Rail Road tracks that would bottom out the front stock springs would just float over them with the 2.5" lift. If you're going to stay with 33"s then I'd go with a 2.5" lift. If you're going to put bigger tires on then go higher. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

If your thinking of going with a 2" Tuff country, I'll sell you my front springs, I'm gonna go with a shackle flip in the back and will need new front springs and these are only a year old and have poly bushings.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

Sounds good, now I just need to make a decision on if I want to spend the money to lift it. I could get some cheap 31" tires now for under $300 and leave the height alone, or get nice 33" BFG for close to $700 and lift it.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm working on my suspension befor I get the BIG tires,