Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

handling with revolver shackles.....?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85k5blzr, Aug 16, 2001.

1. 85k5blzr

85k5blzr 1/2 ton status

So i have been planning a major suspension job on my K5. I am going to keep the 10-bolts because of cash reasons. I was thinking about putting on a touch country 4" front with the shackle flip in the rear. I wanted to run the revolver shackles because of their awsome flew ability on a 4" lifted truck. I was wondering though, if they handled bad on the road, since this truck is a daily driver as well. I was wondering if they caused the rear end to sway or if it stink bugged when braking? I was also wondering if a bracket or some kind could be created to hold them in place and keep them from extending and solve those problems? Any thoughts?

K5 just upgraded to rig status! [​IMG]

2. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

I've got basically the same question. I did see a home-made "revolver" type setup on which a piece of square tube was tied in to the frame and had a shackle extended from it to the leaf. It looked solid, but when it comes to physics and dynamic geometry (tm), who knows.

Hope someone with experience posts...

John

3. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Do a search on pirate4x4.com they have several large posts on this topic. But I read them and most everyone on that board considers them crap!

79 Blazer 6"lift 38 SX's locked/4:56 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.keith.rockcrawler.com>www.keith.rockcrawler.com</a>

4. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I don't have any experience with "Revolvers".., but my suspension works on the same theory. I've had a "buggy spring" setup on the front for about 4 years, and my dropping "Springer" setup on the rear for about 3 years. I drive the truck 15k mi/yr - and it works well!

The key is that anytime a "dropping shackle" suspension is used, some ADDITIONAL lateral support needs to be added to the suspension or it will feel "loose"... I run a "track bar" on both ends of my truck - and I've found that if it's set up right, it doesn't limit the articulation.

You can see a snapshot of the whole assembly that I made for "ScoobyDann" on his page... He had already installed an ORD flip, so I made a special set of brackets for him.

Marv

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Shawn had the revolvers on his Blazer and they made that thing sway like you wouldn't believe, I wouldn't use them myself.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

6. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Had as in past tense Steve?? That's what I thought he said a while ago that he was planning to ditch them because of the poor on-road handling. Glad I didn't copy him on that idea!![​IMG]

Brian
    89KBlazer

Build it Right or Don't build it at all!!

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

OMG! Marv is here!

All right! It's about time you got on line here and shared your wisdom. Heck your about famous on CK5. I've passed your URL hundreds of times.
    Welcome aboard!

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

8. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah, he just took them off not to long ago, every time he drove to the mall the thing would have tons of body roll. he he

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

9. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Maybe he needs (needed) to borrow your line! [​IMG]

Brian
    89KBlazer

Build it Right or Don't build it at all!!

10. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Re: OMG! Marv is here!

Hey Grim...

Yes, I finally made it on here. I appreciate all the times you referenced the Green thing!

Haven't done much to it the last couple of years but drive it!... Now that gas is comin' down - I'll drive it for another 100k.

Marv