Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hanger Drop

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RIPPEDK5, Mar 23, 2007.

1. RIPPEDK5

RIPPEDK5 Guest

Got my big rig 1982 chevy 3/4 ton with prit near 20" of lift, I want to have drop hangers in the front that will get me 6 inches or more of even lift and be strong enough for heavy abuse. Whats the best way to go about making them? Do I have to drop the rear of the front too? Too much lift already? I dont think so. Going for 54" or bigger tires with no rubbing or trimming (dont want to hack the body up).. Any good suggestions about the drop?

Thanx

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I have nothing to add.

3. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo 1/2 ton status

Don't forget to upgrade to 10 bolts front & rear when you get 54's, if you don't already have them.

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

1st question will be how do you have 20" of front lift as it sits?
    1nd question... do you have a body lift on it? that would be an easy way to pick up 3" safer then building a drop hanger in the front.

and to add a comment yes you would have to build down both ends of the front springs otherwise your 6" hanger drop will only net you 3" of lift.

5. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

20" s of lift? need pic's!

6. Big91RustyBucket

Big91RustyBucket 1/2 ton status

7. RIPPEDK5

RIPPEDK5 Guest

Sorry, Its a 14BFF in the rear, 10 bolt in front (soon to have axle truss on it) remember everything is more expensive in New England so Rockwells are out of sight on price. 18" front springs with longer shackles, Rear has 10" springs with 4" blocks, 4" ORD shackle reversal with Longer rear shackles(its in my profile) . Will get pics sometime this week. I like high trucks and dont care to cut my fenders and I dont think its gay.. Has no body lift. I have had no issue with this 10 bolt. I can replace 10+ 10 bolts for the price of a rockwell(after cost of rockwell and then mods to install it--its way to expensive!!)

A body lift; maybe; to do it right though requires major wiring, shifter, and other modifications.

123914911_401110009_0.jpg

8. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Whatcha gunna do 'bout the front driveshaft???

9. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

B52 up front and a raised rear hanger from DIY or ORD, will need 52" springs.......uhhhh you will need at least 9 more 10 bolts because you WILL break everyone as soon as you take it off road.......

You can run Rockwells stock and be alot better off than ANY 10 bolt o sould I sya 10 - 10 bolts.....

Good Luck.....My burban is going on 50" Michelins....so don't worry about these HATERS..... You know how some of the Rock Jockeys get!

10. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

I just want to see pics! Raise the truck to the clouds!

11. RIPPEDK5

RIPPEDK5 Guest

I wish i could got to the moon but there isnt a big enough tire. Your right about the rockwells but $100-$150 can get me 2-3 front 10 bolts. Ill get more pictures when i can this week (probably friday --ill take good pics)... Sorry but im not really a fan of rock crawling.. I love the mud and it doesnt require alot of travel and slow speed crawler boxes. As for the front drive shaft I kinda lucked out but I didnt at the same time. My buddy makes driveshafts at a machine shot (BIG ONES) for Big Rigs, he quoted me $450 for just one shaft.. Which is ok but not- idk

12. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

10 bolts aren't just going to break shafts off road... they're going to break balljoints on-road. This isn't going to be just stupid to drive offroad, this truck is literally going to be a danger to yourself and OTHER PEOPLE. 54's on a 10bolt is asking for a criminal negligence suit when a tire shucks off and kills someone.

13. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

x2....

If your running 54's on a ten bolt and think its ok then you have issues...:rolleyes:

14. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Rocks would be the best way to go, you should at least have a 60... You can get em cheap if you know where to look...

15. RIPPEDK5

RIPPEDK5 Guest

Let me clarify, Right now I am NOT running 54" tires or 49" tires. I have 38.5" tall.. Around here a dana 60 is very expensive and hard to find; rockwells are fine but again serious expense and mods to have them... Plus my 14BFF and front 10 bolt will be trussed for added strength.. Dont you all forget about older FOURWHEELER and Petersens 4wheel & Offroad (early 90's late 80's mags) everyone had 38's-44's on dana 44, 10 bolts etc. even if they were sho and shine..call me nuts if you want but some of us dont have DEEP pockets or sponsors.. We use what weve got-this isnt te south or west, this is NEW ENGLAND sh*t is more expensive..

Found a dana 60 front end out of a chevy $700-needed king pins, spindles, brakes, rust removal (major rust)
    $700 aint cheap for me

16. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

Run the 10b's, don't put alot of $ into it. Find a whole 1 ton truck for parts under $500. Or look for a old 2 ton Chevy, with all wheel drive, for the axels. I've seen junk ones go cheap, just not often. I think no one here, wants to see anyone get hurt, thats all. Just worry about fun getting spoiled. Still want to see pics, and be careful till you get to upgrade.

17. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Dont tell me about new england, I live in Ct. As a matter of fact I have a dana 60 for sale. But thats besides the point... I spent 800 on mine and then rebuilt it... Is it expensive? Hell yeah... But your talking about running 54" tires... How much does that cost? I dont care if they were show and shine trucks either... doesnt make it right. A dana 44 or a 10 bolt, trussed or not still uses ball joints. They ARE NOT strong enough to handle a tire of that size.

If anyone runs a tire that big on that small of an axles then yes, they are a fluckin retard... end of story. You are putting your life, and more importantlly the lives of others at risk, no question about it.

But let not forget about 26 inches of lift comeing down the road either...:rolleyes: What the hell are you using for steering?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  18. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Damn, lighten up, this ain't PBB, no need to go slingin' names.....

19. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

No, its not pirate...But I will call someone when they put someone elses lives at risk. Also I didnt call him anything, I said anyone who does... By his own account he hasnt done it yet;)

20. 54inches

54inches 1/2 ton status

X100

And BTW, Trussing a housing is not going to help with bjoints and shafts breaking!

But go ahead and jack the crap out of it and EVENTUALLY run those 50's.

I will be waiting to here from you on how you totaled your truck.

Meanwhile, I will be building my truck ONCE, even if I have to wait another year to SAVE up the money.

I am unsubscribing to this one before I get really bent!

I'm out!