Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Happy 6.2

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by RLBstein, Jan 27, 2002.

1. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

I recently read an article about putting an electric fuel pump on a 6.2L and decided to give it a try. WOW...I was having trouble before hand with my truck starting and blowing heavy black smoke if it sat for a few days. Now it fires right up and I no longer have to put my foot on the pedal to keep it running when it's cold. I put it in right after the fuel tank, left the mechanical pump still in place, and wired it to the ignition. I'm real happy with the way it works. The pump only cost $30 bucks at autozone, and about 1 hour to put in (with wiring and all that). Also, if you have ever run out of diesel in your truck you know what a pain in the A@@ it is to get started with only the mechanical pump working. With this electric inline, it should be a lot easier.

85 Blazer on an 82 chassis, 6.2L Diesel, ORD flip, 35's on a 4" lift.

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I dont know about making mine run better, but there has been three timeswhen Ive run out of fuel that Im glad I put an electric pump on there. Just turn the key on, open the purge valve on the fuel filter and wait till fuel starts spurting out. Also whenever I change a fuel filter. I purge it and it starts almost instantly and runs smooth almost right away. Before, when I would just fill the fuel filter, it would run very rough for five minutes or more cause I hadnt purged all the air. One of the simplest and best things Ive done for my truck.

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK