Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Harbor Freight 3 in 1 Kit

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by 73k10sub, Apr 16, 2006.

1. 73k10sub

73k10sub 1/2 ton status

We used one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38335
    to do upper and lower ball joints on a 2000 Silvarado this weekend. We were able to remove all four old ball joints without much problem using this tool with an Ingersoll-Rand 1/2" impact(both upper and lower control arms have to come off the pickup).
    We went back with Moog parts and the new ball joints have a ridged edge which made installing the uppers a no go with this tool and the impact. We had to take both to town and get them pressed in. The mechanic at the local tire store said the Moog parts fit tight enough that their tool won't handle them either and they have to resort to a press.
    The biggest gripe we have occured when we tried to do the uppers. The installing tube was "off tolerance" enough that it allowed the large bolt to start trying to thread itself in to the installing tube. This made it get out of alignment.

We also used one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3980. It was impossible to place them opposite each other as per the instructions because of space limitations around the spring. We got by with the tool but it was after much struggling and !@#$%^&*()_+=-}{'':;<>?/.,. This tool probably works well for struts when you can have the whole thing removed and laying in the floor or on a bench with plenty of room.

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking more every day that a press would be a good thing to have. I'm waiting for this vise to pop. We keep putting a big cheater pipe on it to press things, I feel like the whole things going to explode. The vice handle has about 4 bends in it now too. I thought about getting one of those HF balljoint tools, but they just don't look beefy enough to me. I think I remember several people breaking them too.

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What did you expect?

You get what you pay for.... Our new, local Harbor Freight is making a killing.. People can't resist cheap...

4. 73k10sub

73k10sub 1/2 ton status

Yeah, we knew that going in. The thought was to try one vs. the $109 set from a local "wholesale" tool place. The HF one is of course a Chinese knock off of that one.

The little bit of consolation was the tire store guy saying their tool wouldn't seat the upper when using Moog either. He did not say what brand their tool was.

5. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

I picked one up and it worked fine for the balljointsa on my dana 44. I find it usefull for other stuff and in situations were you cant get the part to the press.
    -Kell-