Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Harbor Freight ball joint press

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1987Chevy, Apr 30, 2006.

1. 1987Chevy

1987Chevy Registered Member

Sorry for not searching but im to lazy too.:D They got the one in the gray case and the one in the red case and I remeber people saying one is better than the other but I cant remeber which one is better :doah: . Any info would be greatly appriciated

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Don't bother with either they'll both break! my snap on has never let me down after 12 years of hardcore beating!

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

how much is your snap on one? i bought one from HF. they had one for 30, and one for 80. i got the 80$ one, came in a grey case. installed 4 balljoints with it. when i was finished i noticed a hairline crack. for the average joe you'd probly only need it once every 4-5 yrs. if thats the case i think it'd be alot cheaper to buy the 30 one, and figure its a onetime use only. that snapon one is probly 300 or more right?

4. ascuro

ascuro Registered Member

I have the cheaper ($30) Harbor Freight job too, and it's pretty soft - if you're gonna go that route, I'd recommend just having a shop press your joints out and in for you instead. I ended up having a shop remove one of my joints, and install all four (for fear of damaging them with the required hammering), and they charged me something like 12 bucks per side (so $24 total). In retrospect, I should've just picked up another vice to replace my broke old one...

I had a similar experience with the cheaper ball joint adjusters available - managed to break two cheapies before picking up a snap-on, which is rock solid.

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The red case is passably good. The gray case is crap.

-- A

6. 1987Chevy

1987Chevy Registered Member

Thanks for the replys