Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Harbour Freight Welders?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86Cucvbeater, Feb 16, 2006.

1. 86Cucvbeater

86Cucvbeater 1/2 ton status

Are there any decent ones at this store? I don't know how to weld but want to learn. First thing I wanna do is bob my bed. I need to be able to weld sheetmetal and metal up to 3/8in. thick probably less. What whould you all suggest out of what harbour freight has? I can go elsewhere but I have a coupon, that's why I'd like to get one there. Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  2. ChickenRammit

ChickenRammit 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

harbor freight welders are worthless, especially for the different thicknesses you speak of. i have friend that purchased one of the harbor freight welders and it was pathetic. if you want a welder that is going to last through time then pick up a miller or lincoln. i personally own a millermatic 135 and it works really well for the light duty applications you mentioned. i like the miller machine better because the dials on it are infintely adjustable, whereas the lincoln machines have like 4 voltage selections that you are limited to.

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

ditto what rammit said...

sometimes HF will sell a hobart.. which is now just a miller with less parts in it... and ask full bore list

buy a miller or lincoln... youll be happy you did

cam

4. wetbackZO

wetbackZO 1/2 ton status

uhhuh-uhhuh-uhhuh...wire-feed is awesome for beginners, very easy to work with/learn with...and yeah, get good quality machine and you won't ever regret it!

5. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

Use your coupon for accessories like helmet, blankets, magnets, etc. Get a quality welder or you will regret it.

6. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

pass on an electric harbor freight helmet... they leak ultraviolet radiation... and may not protect your eyes...
    do you really want to trust your eyes and health of your vison to a squinting chinaman

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have a HF welder , its all my wifey could afford with me buying truck stuff all the time ........ THANKS CK5 , I'm going broke :wink1:

8. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

I was on/am on a dirt poor buget (twins coming). I picked up a HF $89.00 special to practice on, I've done nothing but small things like scrap metal to practice. Maybe one day I'll use it for somthing usefull but IMO it suits my wants just fine, and if breaks in 2 years I'll get a good one. If you don't have the $ and know the limits of your welder you'll be fine. And yes I agree with everyone else, there are better welders out there.

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I am learning on mine as well . I got the one with min/max . Same as the 250.00 dollar Century at Lowes , just blue instead of red .

I can blow holes in thin stuff . But with some guidance from a few friends my welds are gettign better . I have a slider in the trail rig . I can jump up and down on it , and it won't come off , and I am a big boy .

I was just welding last night , total newbie , took and actually filled in a spot where I cut too high , thin metal to thick metal . Kinda ugly but its not a strength area , just where the wahts left of the bedside would flap around where I could hit it on rocks . A little paint and its golden :thumb:

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

You can get Lincoln's with infinitely adjustable voltage selections, it's just an option but quite common. We have a Lincoln 125 Plus and a Lincoln 255 here at work and both have infinite voltage controls.

11. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

The lincolns you speak of are the weldpak ones. Mostly found at places like home depot. The other normal ones are just like the millers.

Having been down your road. No $$$ but wanting a welder. I bought a clarke welder back in 96, had limited voltage selection and pretty much sucked to weld with. The handle was uncomfortable and the cable didnt flex well. I ended up selling it and buying a used lincoln 135 off of a buddy when he upgraded to a 175. If I were you, or me and doing it all over again, Id buy a used miller or lincoln.

Another thing to consider is the avaiblity of parts for the machine. THe clarke parts I had to get from clarke and had to order. A good week turn around. Which means im down for that long. The lincoln I can get parts at the local welding shop. And tips at home depot.