Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hard Brake pedal w/engine off, Too the floor while running

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudbug1979, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

Ok, swapped in a dana 60 bled system. With the engine off I can get a hard pedal, but as soon as I start the truck when I mash on the pedal it will go to the floor and barely stop the truck. Sounds like a bad MC to me, but I always welcome opinions. Thanks.

2. Mudbug1979

ttt, gotta go 2 work tommorow.

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Are you sure it's bled all the way. The manual method, on a dry system, can take many many round to get all the air out.
    How was your master before the swap? If it was fine, I'd think perhaps mabey it just needs more bleeding.
    I did my k5 recently, all new lines, new rear calipers, new master, new front calpers. Bone dry system.
    I let it gravity bleed overnight, then went around at least 15 times. Then gave my wife a break (she was pumping the pedal), then went around another 10 times. Felt tight, but not perfect. Gravity bled overnight again, went around again a final 5 times.

4. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Remove the booster vaccum hose and try pressing the brake. If the pedal remains hard then its the booster.

5. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Sorry, I ment while driving SLOWLY. If the pedal stays hard but you can still brake then It might be the booster.

6. Mudbug1979

brakes

Brakes were great before, all I changed was new lines on the front and new calipers. The MC almost went completely dry during first bleeding, so I'm wondering if I do still have air in it. Gonna go open the bleeders and take the top off and see what happens.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Bleed your MC. If your MC went dry you will need to bleed it.

8. Mudbug1979

So, I need to pull it off and bench bleed it or will the gravity bleed do the trick?

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Bench bleed is the best way. Gravity bleed wont work for a mc because it is the highest point in the brake system and all the air goes up\ and collects in the cylinder.
    You can try bleeding it on the vehicle. Pump up the brakes and crack the nuts on the lines where they connect to the MC. Just be sure not to let any air back in. I have done that method and it has worked for me. Just be careful not to get brake fluid on your paint.

10. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Yep, I agree, I think your MC needs bleed, then re-bleed your brakes.
    The last master I bought had neat little plastic screw-ins with tubes, you just screwed them into the master outlets and bent the tubes back into the reservoir submerged.
    I've used old (or new) short pieces of brake line and did the same thing.
    You can do it on the truck, but you'll need to remove the lines going to it.