Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hard Decision

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wayne, Aug 3, 2001.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Well I had to make a hard decision today. A few weeks ago I started the process to buy a house and was going to backburner the Jimmy for a little while. I figured, after thinking about it, I would have a few months untill the loan prosess would go through and the house would be finished, so I decided then I would keep going on the Jimmy. Well I got news today on how much the house deal is going to cost and I now have no choise but to put the Jimmy on the backburner. I guess what bothers me the most about the whole ordeal is that I was planning to have the rest of the stuff I needed to do the lift and 1 ton conversion ordered next week. It sucks being this close and having to stop. If all goes well though I should be able to recover from this in time to make the Paragon fullsize run in November. One other note on this, I just hope the 10 bolt in the rear holds togeather for a couple more weeks because the spider gears sound like they might have a few bad spots.
    Now I also have a ?,
    If the 10 bolt blows how bad do you think it would be to slap the 14ff under with 4:56's and 31 inch tires? I only commute 5 miles to work and the max speed limit is 45 so I don't think it would be to bad for a few weeks. I should be able to use overdrive above 40 or so with that combination. Also do you think 31x10.50's will be ok on a 10 inch wide wheel for on the street only?

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

bummer about having to put it on the back burner for a while but congrats about the house and i think you will be ok if you put the 14ff under there for a few weeks and the tire's should be fine on those rim's for street use

77blazer see it at<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</a>

3. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

just think of the crawl ratio!!!

of course, the diff will REALLY drag on anything bigger than a pop can!

350 TBI, 700R-4, NP241, D44-14FF, 4:10's, 38.5 TSL/SX's, full conv., full cage
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com>www.yeild2me.rockcrawler.com</a>

4. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

It's only temporary. Should be fine. Tire and rim combo may look like they belong on a ricer though. [​IMG]

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jangelicchio>http://community.webshots.com/user/jangelicchio</a>

Lisle, Ontario, CANADA</font color=green>

5. Yeah, Wayne you'll be good to go. Sorry to hear about the set back.

Damn I need to learn how to use my welder!![​IMG]
    (90 Jimmy 350 TBI, 14 FF/10 bolt, 4.56, tires ??
    (ftn96)

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Sorry to hear that Wayne. I hope you can get it done before the Paragon run. Good luck.
    Boss
    ps, oh, 4.56 gears and 31" with OD won't be bad at all

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

7. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

What a drag! I hope you're able to get done soon. For now, everything should work, but the tires/rims will look a little funny - You may need some gold plated wire wheels to complete the look[​IMG]

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

8. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

just remember it's never a waste of money to put it into your house, thats something that you will always get return on your money. In the past three months i've spent 4 grand on my house, it kills me to thing of the mods i could have done with all that money but someday i will see big return on that. keepin a roof over your head should be priority #1,#2 k5 ,#3 wife, #4 kids just kidden.best wishes, beater74

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Do they make them in 8 lug? [​IMG]

10. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Believe it or not they do - I saw a dually with the things on it in Tucson last weekend[​IMG]

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

11. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Wayne arent wreckers equipped with 4.56 rears? They run 31" to 33 tires so I cant imagine that your too bad off.

12. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I think you've got your priorities mixed up. My priorities are:
    1) K5
    2) Girlfriend (although left me because of #1)
    3) Roof over my head
    Get your priorites straight!!

13. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Hmmm maybe if you spend less time with #1 you'd have #2... then again, #1 thinks a little gas is a good thing, never will ask if it's butt looks big, get mad if you forget it's birthday and won't expect you to know what's wrong right away... and #2 will complain unless she has the (K5) fever too, which she must not have had to leave ya. I for one lost a guy because I decided to spend my weekend fixing my wiring then going camping with him... oh well, he drove a Honda...! [​IMG]

Oh yeah... Sorry to hear that Wayne. I feel your pain. I'm gonna have to let my baby sit a lot because of my insurance screwing me over with my rates. Bites to not have the money you need/want....

C'mon captain break pedal... quit looking for the parade and drive!! [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>
    &lt;&gt;&lt; MARK 1:17 &gt;&lt;&gt;

14. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>What parts exactly do you have? If you have both diffs than I dont see why you can't run around on OE 8 lug wheels and tires until you have the $. </font color=blue>

15. ScoobyDann

ScoobyDann 1/2 ton status

El Paso, TX (Far West Texas near Las Cruses
    right there w/ you man....Now lets have a moment of silence for all the trucks that have gone under these past few months. keep in mind there not dead, just sleeping for a while.

sun desert offroad http://community.webshots.com/user/scoobydann

16. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Well mine is not really sleeping because it is my daily driver. Yes the house is first but, I hate to have to lug all the parts for the Jimmy to the new house.

17. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Man, you could lay rubber for a mile with that set up. Hey, you got a video camera? Lets see some action!!

Stuck is a state of mind!

Mudstud
    76K5 sb400/350/203parttime/3.73-D44/GM12 locked

18. ImpalaSS

ImpalaSS 1/2 ton status

that sucks.... i thought i was going to have all my lift stuff ordered but now i gotta spend the $$$ on something else..... i feel your pain!

68 SWB 4x4 1 of 1,449 made 327, 465 4 speed, rockwell tcase, edelbrock performer intake+carb, MSD pro billet http://communities.msn.com/68K10

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I thought I was going to do a lot of things but now I need a new frame and box! I feel your pain too!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

20. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Yeah I heard about your truck and all I can think to say to you is good luck getting it back togeather. Now you have the excuse to build it bigger and badder.