Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hard decision

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LAXandBLAZERS, Oct 14, 2002.

1. LAXandBLAZERS

LAXandBLAZERS 1/2 ton status

My 86 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif is all screwed up. Its at work now and we found out theres not many (maybe 2 or3 ) vacumm lines vacumming and the egr valve doesnt work and theres something all screwed up in the hubs(wont lock in which means no 4 wheel drive) and last but not least the steering got screwed up after instatlion of steering arm for 4 inch lift. I cant decide if I should spend a lot of money fixin it or should I sell it/part it and then get something else like a 85 monte carlo SS. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Please offer all suggestions.
    Thanks Mike

2. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

stick with the k5.you cant take a monte carlo 4 bying.well you can but wont get too far.haha.stick with it and you will never regret gettin rid of it.i know if i got rid of mine(it willl never happen)it would not take long before i was lookin for anether one.cant be with out my blazer.

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Let's see. EGR not working, that's about $60
    Hubs $100
    Steering $100 (maybe, don't know what's not working)

Let's just say, that for less that $400 you can have the blazer running again. It's already lifted and you like it, else you wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

Go fix the thing and drive it. I know the boat you are in, I'm in the same boat myself. My 89 is still giving me fits, BUT, the advice I've always given people, and I try to stick to myself is, don't sell it when it's not running. Fix it, then sell it. 1) you'll get more out of it and 2) you'll have to make an HONEST decesion as to whether or not you want it anymore.

4. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

At least you know whats wrong with the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif. If you by something else you might be buying more problems.

5. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

Ask yourself if you are a monte type of guy. I've been through hell with my jimmy but I still have it. Never considered anything else. If I had it would have been FATAL.

Now you see im different - its raining out and even though my '72 jimmy has no top I'm dirving it to work anyway. I mean that's what towels are for right? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. LAXandBLAZERS

LAXandBLAZERS 1/2 ton status

i really know that you guys and gals will say keep it but its to the point now where its like is it time to move on?