Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hard Drive Failure!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dontoe, Jul 1, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, new (13 month old) laptop's hard-drive failed yesterday morning! Big time pi$$er!
    Worst part, all my kool links were on it of course. Ordered a new bigger, better one from Dell, but it'll be a couple of weeks until it arrives. Woo-hoo 17-inch screen! Gonna get a friend to remove the hard-drive and see if he can get the data off it and install a new one. I'm using the five year old one that I gave the wife last year until then. Damn, there go some nice upgrades/parts fer the Blazer. But, I gotta have a good one, I do Safety videos and was doing the Company Website and newsletters but found it took up to much of my time.

2. google

google 1/2 ton status

Dang it, quit messing with the color of your type.... I can't see it. It blends in with the back ground.

3. dontoe

Yes, sir. Sorry, sir!

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If the information was worth as much to you as the service fee , there are places that can recover the data from it from you . The drive may be dead , but the platters probably have your stuff still on them somewhere .

5. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i have a data recovery program that i used when my hard drive went out. I got Alot of stuff recovered, but most of the data was all messed up. Lost lots of songs that got somehow mixed with other songs, lost the wedding pictures:frown1: , i'm still in trouble for that one.

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

BACK UP YOUR FILES

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Exactly , DVD burners are cheap , and most pics and music etc fits on a few ( my backup took 4 DVD's , just home movies and oics etc ) .

Backing up can be equated to carrying spare axleshafts , you just do it because breakage is going to happen , just a matter of time . MTBF :D

8. dontoe

Oh, I didn't loose anything "really" important, as I backup those to an external 180 gig hard-drive. And really critical data then goes on DVD. Just hate to loose the few photos I took in the last week or so and I don't back up my favorites files and stuff that aren't critical.