Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hard first start! - Please read

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beefcake83, Aug 20, 2000.

1. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

Okay guys, every morning when I try and start my rig I have to pump the accelerator about 5 times. I try her and she will crank fine, but no firing up. After pumping again, she tries to fire up but if I don't 'feather' the accelerator just right, it dies. Then usually the third time she starts up. It's a 350 HEI and I just did a tune up complete with ignition module. Help! I want an auto-start system for this winter, but need to get her to fire up first try. -Thanks, Gary

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew

2. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

I don't know how I missed seeing a fellow Alaskan on here for so long. Glad to see you.
    What type of carb do you have on it. Have you done any adjustments to it? Notice an leaks around it?

http://kodiak.coloradok5.com

3. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

Does it look like the choke is engaging when you try to start it up cold? Is it a manual choke (cable), electric choke, or I guess a mechanical choke? I would check the choke thermostat (coil), or the choke pulloff, I don't know if there is a way to adjust these, or not. It just sounds like it isn't getting enough gas.

Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

4. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

i had a similar problem turned out all i need to do was bend the choke linkage a little and that solved the problem. having to pump the pedal 5 times is alot though i get away with once in the summer and twice in the winter. maybe its time to rebuild your 18 year old carb

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sounds like the choke is not closing. Remove the air cleaner when the engine is cold and not running, then watch to see if the choke closes as you move the throttle to wide open ONCE. (You shouldn't have to "pump" the pedal to get it to start cold).

If it doesn't close, then you get to start playing with the linkages and such. If it still has the stock Rochester Q-Jet, then it will help to get a good shop manual to help you make all of the adjustments.

As for the remote start, those usually will only work with fuel injected vehicles. When you park with a hot engine at night, the choke is off. Even though the engine will cool overnight, the choke won't close until you manually press the accelerator pedal once. [​IMG] Without the choke set, the engine won't start in cold weather.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

6. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies... sounds like I need to take a look at the choke (by the way it's electric) and it's linkages/adjustments. The previous owner has rebuilt the original carb before, but it may just need something else done. I'll post the findings later. Thanks, Gary

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew

7. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

The "electric" part of the choke is only like a heating element. You still need to press the accelerator to "open" the choke. Then the element heats it self up slowly releasing tension on the spring. The remote start probably won't work. They specifically say for automatic fuel injected vehicles. I think this is because of setting the choke with the accelerator and it only tries to start for a few seconds b/c a fuel injected vehicle is pretty much guaranteed to start.

Love, Peace, and Hair Grease...........

8. Jimmy1972

Jimmy1972 Registered Member

I've had the same problem. I can't wait tell morning to correct it.
    I just joined this site today and all ready have found the answer to many of my questions.
    Now all I need is a second job :)