Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hard gas pedal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5er4Life, Nov 16, 2002.

1. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I did a search but could find nothing, the gas pedal on my Blazers 87 TBI 350 is extremely stiff. I cannot figure it out, the accelerator cable is fine and doesnt bind, I had brass bushings put in the TBI case, but the pedal still is extremely stiff. The only I could think it could be is the detent cable going to the 700R4. I have lubricated the cables but still nothing, has anyone had this problem before? If so, how did you remedy it? Thanks for help, I love this site! As soon as I get my job back (long story) I am becoming a member.

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Try disconnecting the tranny cable and see if that helps...if not disconnect both and try that....if it's still hard, check the pedal where it bolts into the truck. The cables should come off the pedal rod under the dash fairly easy.

3. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

The pedal seems to be fine, when I disconnected everything the pedal was smooth. I think it may be the tranny cable, when I disconnected it helped but the pedal still felt kind of rough.

4. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Another thing to check would be your return spring. If it is too strong, it will stiffen up your pedal.

5. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i went through the same exact thing in my jimmy, i un hooked the detent cable and it was pretty smooth, so i went to napa and got a new cable. put it in and it was still tough, about a week later the pos napa cable failed. went to the gmc dealer. 7 bucks cheaper than napa and it was a gm cable, put it in and the pedal was still stiff. so i went back and ordered a new throttle cable. replaced that and it is like new. i dont know why when i un hooked the detent cable it made the pedal smoother, but i can tell you i ended up doing them both and it was well worth it. total cost was about 35-40 bucks.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Ok I will will replace both cables and see what happens, thanks for everyones help.