Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hard hard to replace seals on transfer case?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camarossguy2, Aug 16, 2004.

1. camarossguy2

camarossguy2 1/2 ton status

The tranfercase on my new K5 leaks like crazy...no cracks, just looks to come from both output shafts(F&R)

How hard is it to replace these? Im very mechanically inclind, just check to make sure there the normal kinda like you see in trannys, axels and pinons. also if there are any hitches when opening the case....
    Thanks

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

When I took the yokes off mines I remember a seal of sorts on the splines. I wonder if that could be it. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif If it is, then that's vry easy to replace, you just have to get that nut off. I think one of them is 1 5/16, and some sockets won't fit inside the yoke, some will. That's the hard part.

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Is this on your 89 K5? If so it has either a 241 or 208 t-case(if it's stock) with a slipyoke. To change the seal at the very rear where the driveshaft enters the tailhousing, forst pull out the rear shaft. Then pop out the seal and the tap in the new seal. Now re-install the d-shaft! And you're done. Well, you'll have to top off the t-case if you loose any fluid. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif right...89...

5. camarossguy2

[ QUOTE ]
    Is this on your 89 K5? If so it has either a 241 or 208 t-case(if it's stock) with a slipyoke. To change the seal at the very rear where the driveshaft enters the tailhousing, forst pull out the rear shaft. Then pop out the seal and the tap in the new seal. Now re-install the d-shaft! And you're done. Well, you'll have to top off the t-case if you loose any fluid. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah, its an 89'
    Well thats sounds easy....wonder if the front one is that easy as well? If so sounnd likes just a 30 min job

Hey Emmettology 101,
    Where in ohio are you from?
    I just picked up this blazer about a week ago from a guy in cleveland, maybe you know him? anyway, hes a perfect exaplme of a dishonest person with out a hint of intergrity /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Oh well, got my work cut out for me on this thing

6. Emmettology 101

[ QUOTE ]

Yah, its an 89'
    Well thats sounds easy....wonder if the front one is that easy as well? If so sounnd likes just a 30 min job

Hey Emmettology 101,
    Where in ohio are you from?
    I just picked up this blazer about a week ago from a guy in cleveland, maybe you know him? anyway, hes a perfect exaplme of a dishonest person with out a hint of intergrity /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Oh well, got my work cut out for me on this thing

[/ QUOTE ]

The rear seal isn't hard at all and pulling the d-shaft will take up most of your time. On the front, I've never changed one, but you have to pull the yoke. There will be a larger nut in the middle of the yoke when you pull the front d-shaft... Once you remove that, pull the yooke off and you shoul dbe able to get to the seal. Thats all a guess since I haven't done a front seal....

I am from Masury, OH which is about an hour southeast of Cleveland. Sorry to hear about your bad dealings.. I dont know many people from cleveland though... Dont know how some people live with themselves. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    So how is the body on the 89? Most around this area are pretty bad due to the winters with the salt and stupid chemicals they use on the roads.

7. camarossguy2

[ QUOTE ]

The rear seal isn't hard at all and pulling the d-shaft will take up most of your time. On the front, I've never changed one, but you have to pull the yoke. There will be a larger nut in the middle of the yoke when you pull the front d-shaft... Once you remove that, pull the yooke off and you shoul dbe able to get to the seal. Thats all a guess since I haven't done a front seal....

I am from Masury, OH which is about an hour southeast of Cleveland. Sorry to hear about your bad dealings.. I dont know many people from cleveland though... Dont know how some people live with themselves. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    So how is the body on the 89? Most around this area are pretty bad due to the winters with the salt and stupid chemicals they use on the roads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanx for the info
    short version story on the blazer
    Well K5s are hard to come by here in florida, most i found were over priced and broken. I found this guy selling one in ohio.
    He gave the impressiong he was fixing it up and "the last peice of the puzzle was the paint" Claiming the drive train was in exelent condition with no problems. Also all new brakes, new tranny, transfercase was resealed up and no leaks, rebuilt motor. Body was listed as minor rust to the front fenders that is repairable.
    I asked him to send me pics of all the rust he could find on the car and he sent me just one lil spot on the back, and the fenders.
    I think its a good deal, send him a deposite and buy some plane tickets.
    He picked me up from the airport and in the car ride to his house he informed me:
    1. He ruined the steering box by cranking down the bearing preload nut(he had no idea what it was, but as he described it to me i was cringing)
    2. He forgot to telll me theres a 1.5 inch hole in the side of the truck where a cb radio once was
    3. in the very back of the bed near the tail gate..it was totally rusted through.

We got to his house and the blazer was covered in mud and dirt, hand prints all over it and leaves. No a huge deal, but this guy had no clue about sellers etiquette.

I guess he thought i would not look under it, but i did and found several startaling things.
    1. no cats, no exhuast. pipes dumped under the drivers seat with two rusty mufflers.
    2. The eniter floor pan was rusted. the drivers seat could move with just your pinky and the floor borad was soo weak you could push on it with your finger and hear it cracking.

i told him this is no acceptable and there no way he didn't know about it. he got under the car and said "where???" i wanted to hit him lol.
    I told him the seat would fall through the floor on the drive home and it did... i have 2'x4' under it now.
    The front fenders where not repaiable, you could poke hose through with blades of grass...and i did to show him

I drove it and almost crashed it at the first stopsign. the brakes were marginal at best. he claimed totally new system.
    Two steer the car straight you look like you in one of those 60s movies were there constaly moving it 60* right...then 60* left lol

I told him i was very mad he didn't tell me this before and i didn't want his truck. I want my deposite back and im going back to the airport. After an our of aguing...and explaining to him repairing something thats broke to original condition does not add valve to the car, but simply returns it to the original price.....we agreed on a price...$400 off
    I would not have bought this car if i saw it here local. i just didn't wanna fly back after waisted the $$$ used for flight tickets.

Also asked him straight up "what in this car does not work in the car?" and the more specifically, "does the crise control work??"
    He said everything but a/c(i did already know about this tho)
    Leaving he place...the cruise control, blinkers etc didn't work. more pissed of.

Oh well.
    Fixing stuff now. Got the brakes and steering safe again. did a tune up. the transfer case leaks about a qt every 200 miles.
    Looking for a new floor pan, and fenders

some ppl

8. Emmettology 101

*shaking head* Freakin people. I would've just left and called a cab! LOL You should've put a post up and checked to see if one of us more local guys would've gone to check it out...

9. camarossguy2

[ QUOTE ]
    *shaking head* Freakin people. I would've just left and called a cab! LOL You should've put a post up and checked to see if one of us more local guys would've gone to check it out...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, i still got a good deal *i think*

if your interested heres the ebay auction i founded it off of. i did not bid, but just found it there.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2483384928&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

After i talked him down, i got it for $2600
    what do you guys think?
    By no means a steal, but hopefully i did "just ok"
    I think $2000 would have been more fair

10. Emmettology 101

Not that bad of a deal if the engine and tranny are as he says.