Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hard lines on frame??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Poohbair, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Ok, so on the Pass side framerail of my 79 Jimmy there are 4 hard lines. They are in the way... 1 of them is the main fuel line... what are the other 3???

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

rear brake line, return line, and breather line for emissions stuff, is what I've figured out they are on my 84 and 85.

3. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

what he said

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

so do I need the return line and the emissions line, or can I dump them? I should at least be able to cut the emissions line off since I don't have emissions on the truck anymore...?

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you could but plug the line so no crap gets into your tank. As for the return line, if your fuel pump doesn't use it lose it. Though leaving the line would be nice if you ever want to upgrade to fuel injection, already have a hardline run for it just have to modify a bit. Personally I'm removing all but the brake line.

6. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

You can ditch the emmisions line, thats the vapor recovery line that goes to the charcoal can on the core support, but you should then get a vented gas cap so you dont create a vacuum in the tank. teh return line you can get rid of and plug the return off the fuel pump or get a non return pump, but i kinda like the fact that fuel is always cycling thru the system, my exhaust runs not too far from the frame rail so the cycling keeps the fuel cool and prevents vapor lock.

7. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

If they are really in the way could you re-route them with rubber lines? At least in the section where they are in the way. This would work for the return and emissions lines I don't know about brake lines though.

-Chris

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

a return line fuel system definetally has its advantages, I would run a return line setup but I'm lazy...