Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hard Pull to Right Under Braking

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GrandNat86, Mar 27, 2001.

1. GrandNat86

GrandNat86 Registered Member

Mar 27, 2001
    Guys, first post here.... I just bought an '87 K5 Silverado last week and could use some advice. The truck has a 350 TBI, 700-R4, 2.5" Spring Lift and 33's. The problem is while braking the truck pulls real hard to the left. I would assume this is a brake problem, either a sticking caliper or collapsed hose except the calipers and hoses are all new within the last year. I haven't had a chance to pull the wheels yet and take a look, but I just wanted to get some input first. I was wondering if there was anything else I should be looking for that could be causing the pull other than the front brakes sticking. Thanks for any advice.

Rob Andersen
    '87 K5 Silverado
    '86 Buick Grand National
  2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Sep 26, 2000
    It could be a number of things, especially went lifts and bigger tires are involved. But I would start at the cheapest and most probable point. BLEED them very good. Most likely the fluid if you will notice in the master cylinder resevoir will be black and dirty looking. Chances are that no one has ever changed it. I would Bleed the brakes real good until you get all that old fluid cycled out. Chances are that there was some trash in the lines some where adn you said it had new calipers and hoses, so Im guessing that when they changed this stuff prior to your purchase that they may have dislodged or vise versa lodged some trash in one of the orifices somewhere and you may not be getting full pressure to the left caliper and full pressure to the right one.

I know it will take a while, but this is your cheapest option and probably the most likely.

Mine does this too, and I bleed them and it got better but it was late and I gave up on adn plan to finish off later.

Hope this helps. If not call us back and maybe we can recommend something else. There are alot of ideas out there on this situation.

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90 Jimmy 350TBI-700R4-241-33" BFGs-10 bolts w/4.10's
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>
  3. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Feb 12, 2001
    My '66 Chevelle did the same thing. It was because of the alignment. Something with the caster or camber. I know it's not a 4 wheeldrive but the alignment shop told me about some shims that go on the upper ball joint studs that could cause the same problem. These shims are some kind of offset sleeve that make the same adjustment as adjusting the upper A arms on a 2wd. I think the Haynes manual has some information on the adjusting sleeve but you'll have to go to an alignment shop for the offset sleeves. Good luck.