Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hard Shift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beefcake83, Jul 22, 2000.

1. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

I recently purchased my '83 Jimmy, and it shifts hard from 1st to 2nd gear. The original 305 was replaced with a 350, and a lift kit and 33's added too. Could this have caused the hard shift? I don't know if a shift kit was put in, but I did notice a in-line filter for the cooler added in. Any ideas? - Gary

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska

2. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Hard shifts are actually good for the transmission. I'd bet the someone has put a shift kit in it and this is what's causing it. The harder shifts reduce wear on the clutches and bands in the transmission and should result in a longer life.

3. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

What if the shifts between 2nd-3rd, and 3rd-4th are lighter? Just my shifts from Park to Reverse, and 1st-2nd are hard... still think it's a shift kit?

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska

4. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it still could be a shift kit, but the hard Park to Reverse shifts make me think that your idle may be too high and there may be some extra slop in your driveline. Anyone else have any suggestions?