Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hard/soft tops

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rockjunkies, Jul 30, 2001.

1. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

Any body have any ideas for a blazer top? It is an 81 and has the hard top on it right now. I can't justify the cost of a soft top, that seems high to me. I am not crazy about the top that converts the truck into a half cab either because of the roll bar thing. I can't run topless all the time. I have thought about putting a p.u.cab on it and building a light weight flatbed with a rollbar. But I would rather stick with the Blazer body. I am looking to shed some weight of this truck. Anybody ever tried to build their own softtop? I need some input to get the gears in my head rolling.

Keep it simple!

2. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Check out my top at my site. <a target="_blank" href=http://sites.netscape.net/mikesthmpr/thumper>http://sites.netscape.net/mikesthmpr/thumper</a>
    A few of the guys have used the same idea I think for the hard top cut for a frame. It cost me $400.00 to get the top made.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

3. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

Hey thumper, how did you attach the top at the front and is it wind and waterproof?

Keep it simple!

4. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Its snapped all the way around. The lip where the snaps are through was doubled up by the shop with a webbing strap. It leaks a little bit from the front edge, but I have to be driving in a pretty heavy rain for it to come in. Or fast highway speeds it sometimes leaks a few drops. Other than that, I have no complaints at all.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>