Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hard start

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by parker, Apr 14, 2004.

1. parker

parker Registered Member

just purchased 79 gmc jimmy has hard start condition
    and low voltage on volt meter. I repaced battery and cleaned connections. It ran okay for an hour on a trail ride
    then would start barly crank over. I got it jumped and check altnator it had good out put. I went under the car
    and touched the starter it was hot. So I repaced the starter
    and the cablesfor the stater and battery. It has started okay since then I was hoping to find out if this is normal and wether or not I should expect more problems

2. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I would say thats not "normal"... my 72 snaps alive as soon as I hit the key... I would say it was probably an isolated incident with a 25 year old rig... I would imagine you will find a fair number of them, especially if the former owner(s) were as mechanically inclined as most seem to be.

Either way... Welcome to CK5. the best full-size GM truck site on the net... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I agree. Ole Wimpy has God only knows how many miles on it and every once in a while it'll crank for 5 maybe 10 seconds but that's usually after it's been settin for a couple of days without bein driven. Usually it's turn the key and vroom.

You might wanna take a look at the plugs, wires and the air cleaner while your at it and see what they look like.

Good luck to y'all in the future.

Allan

4. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't mean to threadjack (but I will anyway /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif), on my 83 it will always start reliably, but if it's been more than 12 hours, I'll have to lean on the starter for a fairly long time before it kicks in (like 10 seconds maybe). It's not like it's trying to start but can't, it's like the carb ran itself out of gas or something and had to be refilled. It always starts, it just takes a while.

Any ideas what this might be? I have a fully mechanical Q-jet. Is there a way the fuel bowl could be emptying itself out or something?

I plan to upgrade to EFI soon... I ordered my kit from Custom EFI's like 3 months ago and I'm still waiting. Customer service leaves a little to be desired. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. parker

parker Registered Member

ign switch?

6. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

have any other fuel delivery issues? possible fuel pump... not enough fuel pressure... thats all I got for ya.

7. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a case of a leaky Quadrajet. There are lead plugs in the bottom of the float bowl, that over time will begin to leak. The fix is to remove carb, and fill up cavity under float bowl with either jb-weld or pc-7 epoxy.

8. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like a case of a leaky Quadrajet. There are lead plugs in the bottom of the float bowl, that over time will begin to leak. The fix is to remove carb, and fill up cavity under float bowl with either jb-weld or pc-7 epoxy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I recently rebuilt the carb, but foolishly skipped this step. Do I need to completely rip the thing apart to do this, or can I just take it partially apart? I followed step by step instructions for the rebuild, so I didn't learn a ton about what's what.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You just need to take the TB off of the bowl section to get at all the plugs. If it was a recent rebuild, you can *probably* get away with re-using the gasket.

10. Mastiff

11. Mastiff

Note to others who might do the JB Weld thing: Don't goop up the big plugs so much that the TB won't fit over them anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Thankfully, the JB files down pretty easily. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

12. Mastiff

I JB welded all the right places, but it's still hard to start after sitting a day or two. I was so sure this would help. Any other ideas what the problem could be?

13. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

i was having the same problem and i have a newer carb. If I let it sit more than a day, it would take a bunch of cranks to get fuel in carb. I figured out how to avoid this. I first pump pedal a couple of times and wait a few seconds, then with the gas pedal pressed about half way, i crank and it starts right up. I've done this even after a week of sitting and it starts right up everytime now.