Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hard Start

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by WakeBoard&4X4er, Dec 12, 2000.

1. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I have a 1991 K5 Blazer with just fewer than 90K on her. The past 2 days in KC have been rather cold and I have had some probls with the cold starts. In the morning, I go out to start it and the starter turns over real hard. Sounds like it takes about a half turn on the fly wheel then stops tuning over for a QUICK pause, fires right up. Then runs with no prob at all. No sputter, no shake, not anything, I do have a dual battery system and would like to know of this is normal or not. I do not know if the spark plugs have ever been changed or the coil or any thing has. I was planning to a total tune up on my truck at 90K but to F!ing cold now. If you have any ideas of I need one or both batteries replaced or if it is just the winter starts, please let me now. If there are any questions that you have that can make the diagnoses easier, I check this page all the time.

Thanks all.

www.brettmcox.coloradok5.com

2. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

It sounds like the starter is just cold. I've seen this happen many times. I've actually seen the starter so cold that it wouldn't even turn. We just covered it with towels to heat it up and it fired up. You can buy starter insulators that wrap around the starter and keep it warm. I'd try that before anything else.

[​IMG]http://www.ncclassics.com

3. WakeBoard&4X4er

should i putthe towels the night before? or just before starting?

4. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

We just did it because we were in a hurry and the thing wouldn't start. It was a quick fix thing. Just go down to Pep-Boys or Advance Auto Parts or wherever and ask them for a starter insulator. You can buy them through JCWhitney, but they will charge too much for shipping.

[​IMG]http://www.ncclassics.com

5. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

where are you guys Alaska??? how cold does it have to get before a starter won't turn. I went to college in Buffalo, my starter never froze. Maybe putting a space heater under the starter would help? I would do a tune up also.....js

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Disconnect both battery terminals and see if there's some corrosion under them. I've had several side-terminal batteries get gunk under the rubber. You can't see it until you take it apart. You need all the current you can get to the starter in cold weather.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

7. WakeBoard&4X4er

I am in Kansas but last night i was down to -6 and 30 mph wind. my truck in in direct line with the wind.

8. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Wind chill only effect humans, not Blazers.
    The colder it gets from 32 degs F, the harder it is for the battery to deliver power.
    Couple this together with a marginal battery, or two batteries hooked together, and you are sure to have poor
    cranking performance.
    By almeans check that your cables have a tight clean connection.
    Also the starter wants/needs/demands more power to turn over a cold engine, this compounds the problem.
    Good luck

9. WakeBoard&4X4er

is two batteries better then one? If not why was it factory on my K5? are there pros to a two batteries system or not?

10. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

It must be cold but yea I find that this time the Executioner is right wind chill effect us not trucks as it is a confert index more than any thing. Ok it relly the everation index of water at that wind speed or something like that.

It has been real cold in KC the starter drive on mine has not always engaged

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

11. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If the starter turns, then slows down and then turns fast again, it could be developing a dead spot. This means that there is a certain position of the communtator under the brushes where the starter is a short circtuit or an open circuit. Usually it is caused by contamination in the starter (dirt, oil, etc.) or a worn commutator or brushes. You could take it apart and look at it or just replace the starter. With 90K, it's probably about time anyway.

If it fires and runs fine once the starter turns over, I wouldn't worry about the coil, plugs or wires. I would only look at the starter, solenoid, wires and batteries.

If it's consistently real cold, switching to 5W-30 will make cold start-ups easier.

"If it aint broke...Make it work better!"

12. WakeBoard&4X4er

Well all, thanks for all the help. This morring it was not as cold as it was the last 2 days, about 12 or so, she started right up. Do not know if it was cold, or what, but i would have to lean to the cold strater, and warn power line to starter. I will have to see of she starts hard once again of or when it get down to the 0- temps once again. Anyway thanks for all the help, Big Cox thanks you all to. Last note: I do use 5W-30 in my K5 but little corrosion on the +treamal just on the strater batarty.

Thanks
    brett
    brettmcox.coloradok5.com

13. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

I have a tank heater on my truck, I think that is what its called. I finally had to plug it in last night cuz it was like -10 or something really cold. My truck was starting hard the last few days so I finally decided to plug it in and my truck started better then it does in the summer. It keeps the oil warm or something.

14. BIGCHEVY

BIGCHEVY Registered Member

just think! at least you don't have to deal with -50 with the windchill. that's what it was in manitoba canada lastnight.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE,YOU AIN'T TRYING HARD ENUFF

15. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

A tank heater mounts inline with the heater hose. It circulates warm water through the engine. They use 1000-2000 watts of power, depending on the unit.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

16. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

HEEHEE!!!!!!!! Don't you guys have block heaters on your trucks? I don't think I've ever owned a vehicle without one!!! During the winter it regularly hits -20 Farenheit overnight up here, and the coldest I've ever driven my truck in was -47 Farenheit!!!

I've never had my starter freeze up, although I remember one winter my battery froze solid- I had to buy an electric battery blanket to thaw it out and keep it warm!!!!!