Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HARD STARTING PLEASE HELP...........

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by braunm, Dec 19, 2001.

1. braunm

braunm Registered Member

I just started driving my 84 cucv M1008. For about the last two weeks it has been hard to start. It needed more cranking.
    I wanted to go to the napa and get some other things before I started to do the work. My dad went out and tried to start it but the batterys went dead. SO I started to do what I wanted to get done. Put in new gp,air filter, charged the batterys and still got nothing. The starter solenoid is only seven months old. Put in good batterys from my other truck and the starter just clicking. Now the gp stay on for about 20 seconds. What gives? What the hell am I missing? Any help with this would be great.

Mike

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

How about some more clues. You're telling us it won't crank, right? Are you still running the stock CUCV electrical system? You mentioned the starter solenoid was replaced recently, ya do know CUCVs use a 24 volt starter, right?

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

3. braunm

braunm Registered Member

Yea, it is all stock. I think it might be better to swich it to a 12 volt. I am taking the starter out now. To bring it to a shop. the gear is not being throne out. So I am going to get it looked at. What does it take to make it all a 12 volt? Thanks dieseldan.

Mike

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

The CUCV employs a 12V/24V electrical system. Mostly 12V, with 24V used for the starter, slave receptical (for jump starting), power to the Glow Plugs, and radio (transciever) power. To do this without damaging (under or over charging) one of the batteries, the CUCV also employs two Isolated Ground Altenators (one for each battery).

It shouldn't be too hard to convert to 12V. This would eliminate the troublsome "ballist resistors" for the Glow Plugs (turn 24V to 12V based on load). There is a good site for this:
    http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!