Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HARD STEERING

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DMK, May 12, 2000.

1. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

HAVE 87 K5 STEERING ON TRUCK IS FINE TILL TRUCK IS RUN FOR A WHILE. THEN AT LOW SPEEDS STEERING IS VERY STIFF. TRUCK HAS 150K. COULD POWER STEERING PUMP BE BAD, OR COULD IT BE THE STEERING BOX. FLUID IN PUMP LOOKS GOOD NOT BURNT. THANKS. EXCELLENT WEB PAGE...

2. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

Could possibly be the belt is worn, glazed, or not enough tension on it. The fact that it runs well until it warms up leads me to think the P/S belt starts slipping as it warms up. And if you have recently replaced the P/S belt try tightening it again. I had the same problem on my truck where I changed the belt because it was slipping and squealing due to age, glazing, etc. A few days after putting on the new belt it started slipping again. Cranked the belt down some more and it has been ok since.

3. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

THANKS FOR THE HELP. WILL TRY THIS TOMMOROW. DID JUST PUT ON NEW BELT COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO.

4. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

Mine did the same thing when I got my rig.I ended up pulling the return hose off the pump and into a bucket.Then I had a friend start it and I ran about 5 quarts of fluid through the pump.Hooked it up and it's been great ever since.Don't forget to plug the return inlet on the pump before adding any fluid.
    OH yeah,Stay away from moving parts too.hehehe

<font color=red>Wanna'keep wheelin? Get involved!
    Check the "Land Use" section of this board.</font color=red>