Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hard thud going to Reverse in 700R4

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rick87K5, Jul 7, 2000.

1. rick87K5

rick87K5 Registered Member

I'm hoping somebody has an idea of what's going on here. My '87 K5's tranny engages Reverse pretty hard sometimes, other times it feels like there's some slop in the drive train before it gets in. Sometimes it feels just fine. Otherwise, the tranny shifts just fine. I bought the truck a couple of months ago and the previous owner told me that the tranny had been rebuilt. I knew I was buying a money pit, but it may be getting deeper now. Any help anyone can give me would be appreciated. Thanks.

rick87K5

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Give your driveshaft some shakes and twists, and if there is any play (use your judgement) then your U-joints need to be replaced.

89 K5 Silverado

3. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

Also, the 700R naturally has a hard shift into reverse. Make sure you keep your foot hard on the brake to keet the drivetrain together.

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Hate to disagree...but not all 700R4's have that problem, mine has 123,000 and shifts just as soft in drive as reverse. I just returned from a 1200 mile trip and it worked great going uphill and down, in drive and reverse.
    First thing I would try is to replace the fluid and filter, if that does not work...it may be time for a tranny shop to take a look at it...just my .02...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, change the fluid the first.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]