Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hard Tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Frickenwirthles, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Frickenwirthles

Frickenwirthles Registered Member

OK, so i have a 88 burban, and i need new tires. i'm gonna go with some 35's, but the real question is which one? I would like to get some baja claws, or some mud terrain radials, but the question is, which ones will last the longest?! a couple of guys i've talked to have said the the Baja Claw radials wear out super fast...and with a heavy rig, i'm sure it would only be worse...so what do you guys say?? which tires have hard compounds for better wear??

2. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I had a set of 33" bfg mud t/a's that lasted 43k miles. They were on a 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel. I thought that was a long time for a mud tire on a heavy truck.

just my .02

Steve

ps, I think the baja claws in radial form last longer than in bias ply

3. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

I've run BFG AT's for about 70K. Got a set of 33's right now. This is the 5th truck they've been on. Not agressive, but wear like iron.....

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

if ya wanna look into it... hawgs run a long time... for a dd id say radials for a non dd id say bias (to which I went with)

now the load rating isnt that high I dont think.... but the wear is good.. harder compound.. so less effective on rocks.. but the mud guys say.. closest thing to a bogger without the wear:grin:

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Second that. My 35" A/T's look like they will last forever. The PO put 7k (H2) on them and I have put another 10. on my 3/4 'Burb.

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

A friend of mine runs BFG Mud Terrains on his Z71 and they last 40,000 to 45,000 miles, and he wears them out quicker than most people would (burnouts, pulling out stuck trucks, etc...)

I run bias Hawgs and love them for traction, they will go through more mud than my Swampers will. Radial Hawgs are 36" tall and have a load rating of 2910 pounds compared to 2535 for a BFG.

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

how are the road manners of a Hawg? When my SSR's wear out, im thinking about a set of radial hawgs. Its looking like Im going to get 23-25k outta my SSR's, just curious about the road manners as this is my DD.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  8. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had the knock-off hawgs on my daily driver for along time. Wore them down till I had giant bald racing slicks.:grin: The only problems I ever had with them was I had one that leaked slowly. You couldnt really tell till it had a real low psi. When it leaked down it became really grabby on the road if it was grooved pavement.:grin:

Z

9. Frickenwirthles

Frickenwirthles Registered Member

Thanks a lot for the input thus far guys...unless anybody else has anything to say...i'll start looking for some 35" radial gound hawgs, or bfg m/t's. thanks again.

10. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

so hawgs are the sh$t then?

between a tsl radial and a hog radial which performs better(all around, mud, dirt, etc) and lasts the longest?

sorry for the hijack but i don't think its worth making a new forum.

11. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Mine do ok on the street. My old pile doesn't get drove too many miles so I can't comment on how long they will last, but I do have about 1500 miles on them with no noticable wear.

12. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I would guess the Hawgs would last longer. As to which performs better kind of depends on the terrain. My Hawgs are better than Swampers in mud, but probably wouldn't do well at all on the rocks. If I had my choice? Hawgs.

13. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

yeah not a rock tire....
    but i know a guy that hated hawgs....
    until he got stuck with his dodge....
    a guy pulled him out in 2wd and had hawgs.... then the guy went through where he got stuck in 2wd... he looked at the guys tires and they were clean... his looked like chocolate covered donuts...

now he owns 40" hawgs and loves them...

GotSmoke over at ps.com
    99 (i think) dodge diesel putting out 750ft lb torque.... usually rips stuff off of vehicles he tries to pull out unless they are 1 tons... :grin:

found a few pics....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

That's a BADA$$ truck! I can confirm the 2 wheel drive thing - I can drive in 2 wheel drive with my Hawgs where my Swampers need 4 wheel drive.

15. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I think by the end of summer I want my flatbed done, stacks on and rollin some hawgs. :D