Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hard to shift to 4x4 (NP208)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JHG, Nov 1, 2002.

1. JHG

JHG 1/2 ton status

I have an 1981 Blazer K5 with NP208. When I try to shift into four wheel drive I have to shift between R and N and sometimes I have to drive slowly before I can put it in 4x4 (but it alwais works at the end). Its been like that since I bought this truck in 1996.

Is this normal or is something wrong with my NP208?

Thanks,

Jon H. Gudjonsson
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif 1981 Blazer K5, 350/TH350, NP208, Dana44/GM 12 bolt, 4.88, locked front and rear, 38" dick cepec.
    http://groups.msn.com/Nonni1972/blarcars.msnw

2. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i dont belive so, sometimes mine is a bugger to get into 4 wheel drive hi or lo, of corse i have a sm465 and you probly have an automatic, i dont think somthin is wrong with it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. unless there is a god awful grinding sound that is presistant with it, there was an s-10 that came into the shop, some tech was in it, started it, on a lift with tires off the ground, put it in drive, then put it in 4 wheel drive, rear tires goin about 15 mph, front tires not moving at all, he shifted it, all that was coming from his stall was this high pitched grinding sound that went on for about 2 minutes untill the boss yelled at him twice to shut the engine off. talk about an air head, turns out the vacumm line going to the front diff was melted apart by the exaust pipe.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's much easier to shift into 4WD if you are rolling slowly. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. JHG

JHG 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I was hoping it was normal and now I know it is /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jon H. Gudjonsson

5. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

ya, sometimes i gotta muscle my 208 into 4h, but fairly easy for 4L..