Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hard to start when warm

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tarheel, Apr 26, 2004.

1. tarheel

tarheel Registered Member

hey guys. i did a search but couldn't come up with anything useful. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif any how, my bone stock 350 starts great when it is cool even in cold weather, but it takes a few trys before it will start if the engine is still warm/hot. i'm runnin' a 4mv quadrajet. could it be a problem w/ the choke? HELP!!! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

is it a will not turn over or will not fire type of thing /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Is the choke on when warm?

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    is it a will not turn over or will not fire type of thing /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ditto. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I agree...is it hard to turn over when warm? I would definatley check the timing. We really need to know if its spinning over fast and not catching or if its just spinning over slowly.

6. tarheel

SORRY... ITS TURNING, BUT IT WONT CRANK. STARTER IS WORKING LIKE A CHAMP, BUT THE DAD GUM ENGINE WONT FIRE UNLESS I FLOOR IT AND THEN ONLY AFTER 2-3 SECONDS OF TURNING. AFTER IT DOES START, IT BILLOWS SMOKR FROM THE TAILPIPE AND RUNS ROUGH LIKE IT IS ALMOST FLOODED. WTF!!!??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. tarheel

OH YEAH... I ALREADY ADJUSTED THE TIMING AND PUT NEW SPARK PLUGS IN. STILL DOIN' IT. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

IS THE CHOKE ON WHEN THE ENGINE IS AT OPERATING TEMPS? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Mine does kind of the same thing. If it sits for like 45 minutes, it doesn't want to start and when it does, it blows a puff of black. If it sits a long time or a really short time, everything is fine.

I think it has to be one of two things:
    1) The choke wants to engage because the carb has cooled, but the engine is still warm
    2) The engine heat makes some gas spill over into the intake while it sits. If I waited longer, it would evaporate. I have been meaning to look in the carb sometime while it sits hot.

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I had that problem in a couple trucks. Both times it was the starter getting too hot to spin fast enough. One on truck I had manifolds w/ duals. On the other it was headers with duals. On both rigs, I had to wrap the starter in the heat sheild stuff. After that, they worked like a champ. May not be the case here, but that is what it was for me.

On this blazer, when I had the exhaust put in, I asked him to run it as close to the frame and as far away from the starter as possible. No issues with this one.

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

It could be that the carb has leaky metering wells,allowing fuel to drain into the intake.They had a kit to fix that problem years ago,a little foam dewhickey you stuffed under the bottom of the carb.I think you can use epoxy too.There is probably some info on how to do this on this site somewhere. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif