Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hard to start

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by HD, Mar 1, 2004.

1. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

My ’83 6.2 is getting hard to start, almost like it’s not getting enough juice. I just replaced my alternator because it died. Do you have any suggestions on why this would be happing, could it have something to do with my harmonic balancer needing to be replaced?

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

As in hard to start like it's turning over too slow? Is there a chance that your bad alternator weakened your batteries? I would say that it's possible. I've also read that it's hard on your starter when you turn it over with weak batteries.

It's probably either a battery or starter problem, brother. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    As in hard to start like it's turning over too slow? Is there a chance that your bad alternator weakened your batteries? I would say that it's possible. I've also read that it's hard on your starter when you turn it over with weak batteries.

It's probably either a battery or starter problem, brother. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

To answer your first question, yes. I took the batteries to Autozone to have them recharged, I guess they didn't do a good job. After I change the alt. I ran it for about an hour to recharge the batteries, I guess it didn't work.