Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hard to steer at idle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Scott A, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Scott A

Scott A 1/2 ton status

Fluid is good and I put a new belt on because I thought it was slipping. Maybe it's time for a new pump. I'am running 37" Hummer tires. I do have an edelbrock cam & lifters, maybe I am not getting enough vacuum with that cam???

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

vacuum should have nothing to do with the steering pump. I was experiencing the same thing though on my 87. I replaced the pump and the belt and it it better now. Be sure you tension the belt enough.

3. Scott A

Scott A 1/2 ton status

I guess I will try a new pump. Autozone has them for $52.99 Any tips on installing a new pump?

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

You will need the correct tool for removing and then reinstalling the pully. Other than that it is pretty straight forward. I only paid 45 for mine at auto zone about a month ago.

5. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

What is your idle speed? Is it possible that it is set too low? I had a similar problem, and it was caused by the fact that my engine wasn't turning fast enough to feed the pump.

6. Scott A

Scott A 1/2 ton status

I think about 900 RPM's

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

37's are pretty big tires,they may have stressed the pump to the max,especially if it has high miles on it--before you change the pump,you may want to check the power steering hoses if they are original or old,they might be collapsed inside,restricting the flow to the steering box(the high pressure hose mostly),if the hoses are new or in good shape,its probably the pump getting old,and running a lower than normal pressure. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

8. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I guess I will try a new pump. Autozone has them for $52.99 Any tips on installing a new pump?

[/ QUOTE ]3

Go to a junk yard and pick up a pump if you can. I changed mine out and tried to take the pully off first but just fuggered it up. The dealership wanted some outrageous price for a new one. I paid $25 for a pump with pulley at the local JY. Turned out it was kind of new in the truck we pulled it from, it had a reman sticker on it!

9. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

10. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status