Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hard top lifting tips

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RedneckK5, Sep 23, 2002.

1. RedneckK5

RedneckK5 Registered Member

could someone please give me their great ideas for a top lifting system. as my truck gets taller it becomes harder to remove the top. i want to build somthing to hang for the rafters in my shop to lift the top. hopefully a one man operation. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

An easy answer would be ratchet straps. Just throw an eyebolt through a bolt hole at the 4 corners, screw some eyebolts into the rafters, then use some good ratchet straps to lift it off. Me, i took the expensive route and have a gantry crane from Harbor Freight. Drive under, lift off, have fun.

3. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

take a 2x4 and screw eye hooks into each end, hang a rope or chain from the ceiling. lift the top enough to slid the 2x4 in and hook it to the chain. then drive away. may want to jack the rear of the rig up so you can just lower teh truck out from the top, and only have to lift it enough to slip in the 2x4
    it could work?.......right?
    ~~~jeff

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I don't have a garage, so I suffer with calling a couple of friends over, I climb inside lift it enough to slide it back while my friends guide it back. Lower it to the ground and carry it behind the shed. I really need to invest in a soft top !!!!!!!!

5. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

I have the same problem only i have a garage but no room to park anything. I put 4 4x4's in the ground wide enough to park my blazer in between them put hooks high enough that i can run a 2 x4 underneath the top and set on them. There for propping the top up and you dont need to take up room in the garage.

6. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    An easy answer would be ratchet straps. Just throw an eyebolt through a bolt hole at the 4 corners, screw some eyebolts into the rafters, then use some good ratchet straps to lift it off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto...That is what I did also but,I used that angle steel that they use when you put in a garage door..(Don't know what the real name is for it, It is just angle piece with a hole 1/2" every inch or so...and used long lag bolts to bolt screw it to the rafters...)and then used the straps it takes about 10 minutes to do...easy

7. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Ditto ditto on the rachet straps. Except I just ran the strap in through the open side windows. I got in the back and lifted the top off just a few inches and tightened up the rachet strap. I did have to use a second strap in the back though since the side windows aren't quite the front to back balance point.

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I mounted a 200lb slab of iron on the inside ceiling of my hard top. Then I installed an industrial electromagnet on the ceiling with a little electric winch. I even use it to hold the truck up to work on it, instead of a jack. Of course, it the power goes out in my neighborhood, the hardtop will shatter on the garage floor... OK, JUST KIDDING.

Actually I also use the ratchet strap method. I did a pretty detailed post on it last year. I take out the bolts, lift the top about 2inches from inside and stick pieces of 2x4 between the top and the bed rails. Then I put in the eye bolts and hook up the 4 ratchet straps. Clickety, Clickety and I drive off. I can still park in the garage at night facing forwards or backwards and leave the top off for a week at a time if I want (so of course my car also fits under the hard top no problem).

I leave the ratchet straps hanging from the eyebolts in my ceiling all the time now, to save the time of putting them away and hooking them up. I just wish I had an easy way to keep eyebolts in the top at all times. All you need is a high-torque hand drill to take all of the bolts out. 10 minutes tops.

9. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Blue, I am a big fan of the magnet idea!! You might have something there.

Me personally, I don't bother with all you guys' fancy smansy eye-bolt, 2x4 nonsense, I just have to strong ropes hanging from the ceiling and I lift each it up and slide the looped rope under, then drive off.
    'Course, my back hurts a little these days.