Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hard top off and stored away way up high

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77Jimmy, Jun 29, 2003.

1. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Top has been off for a year, sitting in a corner of the garage taking up space. So I finally got off my butt and took care of things...here are a couple of pics.

to ceiling 1

to ceiling 2

Hardest part was that I didn't have big enough rachets...I'd have to ratchet up a couple of the corners until I got some slack, pull out the excess slack and ratchet up the other corners...repeating the process over and over. Could only go about 8 inches at a time and I was going from the floor to the ceiling so it took a good long while, probably 45mins to 1 hour. You can see the excess rolled up and hung on hooks.

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

now that is cool! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I would bolt a couple of 2x4s going from side to side. The way you have it now it may stress the seams and produce cracks or warp it. Also, if you made the 2x4s a little longer so they stuck out the sides by about 6 inches you could run the eye bolts through the ends and use that as your lifting point. Just a thought /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yea, I thought about doing that but decided to go ahead w/ it as is...needed to get it up off the garage floor asap (wife was on my butt about it). I did manage to put some pieces of wood w/ a recessed hole for a big washer and nut under each of the four bolt holes in the top. I think it's OK for now but your points are valid...I might see if I can't run a couple of 2x4s under there to help support it even more. Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Just curious, but what watage is that bulb? Isn't that thing going to melt the crud out of the seal on the top, looks close! Just a thought! Other than that, looks good! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I recommend using 2x4s and supporting off the bottom. A friend of mine held his truck topper up like that and it gained a case of the splits over the course of a year.

If you do a search you'll see I use seatbelts instead of ratchet straps.

7. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

It's a low wattage bulb and I've got about 4 or 5 inches of space.

Ok, you guys have convinced me...2x4's it is! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the feedback! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

That's what I did. I'll have to snap a couple pics for everyone. It works out great and taking my top off is only a 15 minute deal know! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Same for putting it back on. It works great!

9. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Great minds do think alike /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 89VJimmy

89VJimmy Registered Member

I just finished riggin up the ratchets and 2x4's and can't wait to try it out. So far looks good., (I'll post pics once I prove it works). Only problem is, I can't find the two hidden bolts in the rear everyone keeps talking about. Do I need to remove the trim panels to get to them?

11. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I've completed the 2x4 method and it works great. I'll snap some pics tomorrow and update the thread. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. Scott73

Scott73 Registered Member

I also used 2x4s and ratchet tie downs. Left the 2x4s 8' long and put 3/8" eye bolts 6" from each end. The top lifted off very easily and is stored above my popup now. The best thing is I don't have to bug my neighbor for help removing and installing my top.

13. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

UPDATED...hard top off and stored away way up high

Now w/ 2x4s for support...
    [​IMG]

14. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Re: UPDATED...hard top off and stored away way up high

i have a friend whom had a jeep. He always needed help taking the top off and had no where to store it... so we came up with using a boat winch... crank style... couple of those die downs with hooks that yall used and some plastic coated cable.... we made it so it looked like what yall have but he could crank it on or off all by himself..... his wife was preggo.. that is why we came up with it.. also made a good storage spot......

15. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Another hard top saved from self destruction /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

You did use washers on the underside of the eye bolts right? It sort of looks like it but just wanted to confirm.

16. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yep, double washers in fact! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif