Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hard Top Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazin'Grrl, Mar 24, 2000.

1. Blazin'Grrl

Blazin'Grrl Registered Member

I want to take the paint off my Blazer's hardtop and re-paint it, what should I use to get the paint off, and what type of paint should I use to repaint it with? It's an '83 K5 Silverado Blazer, I don't know exactly what the top is made of; fiberglass or something.....help?

<font color=purple>Sarah</font color=purple>
    <font color=purple>[​IMG]Have you driven over a Ford lately?[​IMG]</font color=purple>

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

i heard somewhere that you should put a coat of epoxy primer(is there such an animal?) on the top after stripping but before the new paint. it makes the top look smooth like the body.(supposedly)

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

3. Depends what you want to do. if you like the textured look (OE) then do what I did and use some type of paint/spray on bed liner. It wasn't difficult to do and it looks real nice.
    <font color=red>ABO</font color=red>

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Unless sombody has painted the top it isn't painted. Tops came in 2 colors, Black and White. If it is any other color it has been painted at a later time. I have seen a top that had the texture sanded off and painted to match the truck. It looked nice. I'm sure it would require many hours of prep to get it looking that good. Another thing thats coming around is people are having Line-X sprayed on the tops. That also looks good if you like the texture. Line-X is about the only one that would look good because they have the best consistancy on their aplication.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

5. 70jimmy#2

70jimmy#2 Registered Member

does anyone remanufactuer hard tops?

6. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

Grim,

I have an 89' with a navy top, factory and unpainted. I have also seen red one's as well on later model K5's so there must have been a point where GM expanded out from the black/white only option somewhere in the 80's...

<font color=orange>STEVE<font color=orange>[​IMG]
    89 Blazer
    67 Camaro 468
    68 CamaroSS 327
    98 GTP

7. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

The tops are made of fiberglass. You can look at the painting idea in several ways, first sanding it smooth leveling an then painting it looks good but takes alot of time. The advantage is, it is easy to keep clean. Second option, spray with LineX or like product, this looks great, hides flaws in the shell and is very tuff. The last option is to spray with textured paint(stock), this looks good, but is a pain in the ass to keep clean, if you go with a light color. With all that said I would go the LineX route. It will last!

74 K5

Leave it like you found it, or better!

8. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

Hey Grim,

You're confusing me. I thought the top was painted. I put masking tape on the bottom to protect it while I was doing some work on the paint, near where it meets the bed. When I pulled off the masking tape, white paint chips came off. Underneath was a kind of light grey color.

<font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

9. I want my top to be white again...right now it is Purple. I was just going to get a good exterior waterproof house paint, and rool it on...cheap fix I know but on paper it seems like it will work.

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

10. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

AZBlazeMan, House hold paint isn't made to flex at all and it will chip fast use The bed liner in a can that they sell with a roller. I heard it comes in colors.

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"