Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hard Top Questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AnF_Jeep, Dec 29, 2002.

1. AnF_Jeep

AnF_Jeep Registered Member

Have a few questions for you guys ...
    1) Are there any companies that sell after market hardtops? Haven't had any luck finding any /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    2) I'm going to be removing the current top off of mine which hasn't been off since it was on the assembly line any advice? Have a bad feel that either it'll be stuck or that it might crack
    Thanks in advance

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Just unbolt the bolts, lift it up off the locatiing pins, and get it the rest of the way off. It's easy. I wouldn't worry about it cracking or anything. When I did mine the first time, I unbolted everything, and stood up inside and lifted the top up with my back and walked it as far towards the back as I could. Make sure ya have help to get it all the way off. It can be done solo, but it's interesting. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

BTW...Fill out your profile so we know where your from. There might be someone close to ya that can help ya out. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Obviously remove all the bolts, don't forget the two under the rails near the back!!!!! I use 409 or Windex(use alot of it too) to help break the seal then gently lift the top off. Not much more too it than that. And don't do it alone /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Since pretty much every K5 left the factory with a hard top (or fiberglass camper in the case of the Chalet/Casa Grande camper versions), there isn't much demand for aftermarket hard tops. Someone was making a half-cab top but they went out of business (there's one for sale in the For Sale forum right now though). Full tops can be had cheap or free as many people have them laying in their yards, just taking up space.

Taking the top off isn't too tough. Remove all the bolts (Some years have a hidden tamper-proof torx bolt at the very back of the top. You have to loosen the interior side panels to get to them unless you have a stripper truck that didn't come with those). Then just start lifting. I find it easiest to start at the rear and place my back against the inner roof while inside the rig. Then press up with my knees until the seals start to release. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

If you reinstall the top later, it helps to clean and wax the body mating suraces and then clean the weatherstrips on the top and treat them with a weatherstrip dressing. This will help to keep the seals from leaking. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Full tops can be had cheap or free as many people have them laying in their yards, just taking up space.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because the fiberglass half top is about the only part of the truck that didn't rust in most parts of the country.../forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That and some folks just run a rag top year round. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. AnF_Jeep

AnF_Jeep Registered Member

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help [​IMG]
    Looks like I might have to go through with this restoration after all /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

He has a '78, so their shouldn't be any. Never seen any on an 80-down. Anyone know the year they showed up?

9. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

My '82 didnt have them. I took the top off my self and it was a bitch. 6" lift on 36" tires at the time. I ended up sliding back as far as I could without tipping it over. I then got on the ground and tipped it over and slid it down to the ground and then rolled it over to the top. I havnt put it back on. The ragtop seems to be good enough for me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dunno, but the alignment pins weren't around all years either. My '83 and '86 both had them, but another 70's top I picked up forced me to remove them.

11. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Another trick I've done while taking the top off alone is to lift it up with my back, and slide PVC pipe under it across the truck near the front and back. Then just stand at the back and roll it till you can tip it down to the ground or on to a picnic table or something. It also helps when you have someone to help you cause it keeps the top from falling off the side of the truck (yah I've done it twice! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif)