Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hard Top removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Adub, Jul 27, 2003.

1. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

Tried to take the pos off today and got all the torx bolts out and it wouldn't pop off. Both rear corners where still tight to the body. What's the deal. Its an 89 Jimmy SLE with full interior.
    AW

2. Curtis2kul

Curtis2kul Registered Member

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
    The back part of the top has a couple of hidden bolts. you have to remove part of the rear paneling to get to them and then there are some guide pins sticking up near the rear (I guess so it wont slide off the side as easy). Dont forget that it might be a little hard to get off because the weatherstriping might be a little stuck.

What i did was took all the bolts out and layed on my back and popped the top off by pushing up with my legs! Hey, it works! GOOD LUCK /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

Are the bolts underneath the same T40 tamper torx or do I need to go get some other special tool

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think they are 5/8 or 3/4 no special tool.

5. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

Just went and pulled one side of the trim and the there is one bolt (looks like 5/8) and one Torx head. The T40 was too small.

6. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

Anyone?

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Take the 5/8's bolt out. I believe the other one holds a little alignment pin that stays on the rail. You can take it off if you want, but it is the big bolt that holds the top on. You should be good after that. By the way you don't have to put that bolt back in when you put the top back on just comes that way from the factory. Good luck and enjoy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif