Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hard top removale

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddin84k5, Apr 11, 2002.

1. muddin84k5

muddin84k5 Newbie

My question is for anyone who has removed the stock hard top. Im wondering what i should use to seal top when i put it back on? Do they make something or should use some type of silicone? Thanks in advance.

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Just keep it straight when taking it off and putting it on. I wipe down the weather stripping with wd-40 after I take it off so that it doesn't dry up and crack while it is off. It will seal fine with just the original weather stripping so long as it is not torn (so be careful when removing), and you must tighten the bolts along the back of the cab first when putting it back on.

3. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Welcome to Ck5 version 2002.
    When you remove your top... you could use Formula 2000, Armor All or petroleum based jelly to condition the seals on the hard top and above the cab.
    I've removed and put on my top many times... and it's never leaked.. it all depends on how you retighten the bolts .. Starting at the top center and working your way down and back to the rear.
    Again.. Welcome to the best place on earth for all your K5 needs.. Fill out your profile .. and specs on your truck.. it'll really help us out to get to know you..

4. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i didnt use anyhitng, and no leaks
    then the next time for shits and giggles i sprayed silicon spray on it, still no leaks

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

For some reason in your e-mail I was thinking you had a bad seal. Rocko is right on if your seals are good.
    Also when you re install it get it in place. put all the bolts in loose. Tighten down the cab bolts first so it will pull tight. then work you way to the back of the truck.

6. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

If you do screw up the seal you can get new ones, but thjey are quit expensive for seals. Lmc has replacement seals, you can get a catalog at http://www.lmctruck.com. And I would not advise using silicone as a sealant for the one reason that it is also a very strong adhesive. It won't leak if you use it, but it might not come back off easily.

7. bigjblazer

bigjblazer Registered Member

ive taken mine off 3 times, and never put anything on it, and no leaks at all. I just jump around on top of it after i put it back on. That seems to do the trick.

8. schneggie

schneggie 1/2 ton status

Another little tip --- roll the rear window up before you tighten the bolts, this way it lines up the window groove. If your little pins are missing that is. I took my pins out cause its easier to lift it up and slide it down the rails if the truck is to high.

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I had mine off last night. I take it off about once a week in the summer. I never do anything to the seals except clean 'em once or twice a year. I've never found any signs of leaking. I always tightent the cab bolts first, then the bed rails.

I don't know how these things got such a bad rap for leaking. Must be people tore the seals or removed the pins and then tightened to the bed rails first. The top was designed to be removed just like your doors were designed to be opened and closed. Nobody ever says "Don't ever open your doors or later they might leak."