Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hard Top repair

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by rhino389, Aug 29, 2004.

1. rhino389

rhino389 Registered Member

Howdy all. I put this post in the Garage first by accident. I'm buying a '72 that's in really good shape but the hard top was damaged in shipment to the current owner. Mountain West Customs in Vegas did the resto in '99 and put vinyl over the fiberglass and a headliner inside. There are two cracks: one near the driver's skull and one just about in the middle of the top. The curent owner pulled all the vinyl off to find the cracks and now it looks terrible because of all the adhesive (though it would look pretty good on my '91). I know quite a few of you are going to tell me to ditch it for a soft top! It has one but I just don't want to trash the hardtop. Any ideas on prices, techniques? Or should I try to snag one from the Island of Misfit Hardtops? How much and can I find another one? Thanks!

2. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

im sorry i can not answer your question but can i ask how it got damaged. I have accidentally dropped my hard top on concrete off of my truck, MANY times and it is still in one piece. Yes i know you have a 72 so that is a fulltop but arent thos things pretty tuff?

3. rhino389

rhino389 Registered Member

Those things are tough. I've had 5 guys doing a rugby song on top of my '91. According to the current owner, it was damaged while being transported from Vegas to Florida. I suspect it may have been damaged previously. That's why whoever restored it put the vinyl over the fiberglass and put a headliner in. There's no way to tell unless I can get CSI to find some microbes or whatnot.
    But I'm sure SOMEbody out there has had some fiberglass repair experience. Bueller?

4. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

Im in a auto paint and body class right now at school. Ill ask my teacher if he knows the best way.

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

off to work, but heres a quickie..

pick up a roll of some 2" wide type E fiberglass cloth.. grind a channel that wide, the length of the crack.. deep enough for a couple layers of cloth..

wet the area with fiberglass resin (epoxy is stronger). saturate the cloth in like a throwaway baking tin, squeeze out excess.. lay multiple layers in... grind smooth. skim with mud. sand flat for prime...