Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hard top rub marks on bedside

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by 88K5Jimmy, Jun 22, 2005.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

So when my buddies and I were putting my hardtop back on we rubbed the bedside with the hard top. It's not scratched but seems just like a rub. It really stands out because they are white rubs on black paint. Is there anyway to use some extremely fine sand paper with the combination of wet sanding or other means, without messing up the 17yr old paint because it still shines up real well.

Thanks

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Try some wax or rubing compound, if that doesn't work wet sinding might work

3. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I tried some Maguire's cleaner/wax but that didn't work. Thanks for the tip though.

4. johnym

johnym Registered Member

a light use of some polishing compound worked for me.

5. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Rubbing compound is not the same as Maguire's cleaner/wax. Rubbing compound is what you use after you wet sand to get the very fine scratches left behind by the sand paper. It's a very fine abrasive.

6. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the tip. Do you have any brand suggestions?

Thanks

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Try the orange color back stuff at Autozone , also called restore , or once a year car polish . Seems to not only bring back the color , but for me it removes fine scratches , overspray from painting bumpers on the truck , and rtv etc .

8. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

So I went to an automotive paint supply store in town and got some Meguire's Mirror Glaze 84 Compund Power Cleaner with a 9 on the cut scale on the side of the bottle and it took off the white rub marks but you can still see the actual spot where it rubbed the side of the body. Now you just can't see the white rubs. Overall I'm pretty pleased with it. After you apply it and remove it the paint looks dull so you have to follow up with a wax.

I also hand buffed it. So a high speed buffer might actually take out whats left of the rub. We'll see I guess.