Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hard Top Storage...Suggestions welcome/needed

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kev71, May 9, 2002.

1. Kev71

Kev71 Registered Member

Hey guys, I'm new to the ck5........im young but trust me my blazer obsession is strong........anyway, I finally got my dream blazer..........71' orange with 4 in lift and 33s, I’ve only had it for bout a month and I’m already dying to take off my top before summer (bout 2 weeks). Problem is, i'm not sure where to store it........Ideally, i would like to hang it from the garage like Greg71, but i really dont think my Parental Units would be to excited about that idea, not to mention the work involved in that. So my simple and lazy solution would be to just rest it against the wall, but is there a reason why people dont normally do that (stress fractures?). Or would it be better to rest it flat on 2x4s? Any ideas?

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I put mine on a tarp on like , I guess 2x4s and wrap another tarp over the top of that. Whan I lived at home my parents said no way is that going in "our" garage/yard. So I had to keep it at a friends house. I swear I checked on it like weekly. LOL. Welcome to the K5 home! It's real addicting.

3. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    First,welcome!
    Second,1st gen tops are HEAVY!!! Try about 300LBS!!
    If you get help make sure they're from the wrestleing team(ya I read your bio)Minimun you'll need 3 guys...4 would be perfect.
    I would NOT store it on it's side like you see people doing with topper they put on half ton trucks.Remember,that top is 30 years old and while there is internal bracing(in the fiberglas) the wieght of the top on only one part of it may do some damage.
    Many guys have problems storing their top as you have basically 2 options...hanging it in the rafters of your garage or flat on the ground.
    I agree with useing 2x4's to brace the top while its off the truck.
    1st undo all the bolts and lift the front up enough to slide a 2x4 under the bedrail mounting holes at the front(the 1st 2 mounting holes near the fron seats.Get a couple lag bolts and screw those into the 2x4 using the 1st 2 mounting holes.Do the same thing with the last 2 mounting holes at the rear of the top.This will stablize the top while taking it off and if the 2x4's are a little wider than the top will give you and your friends a place to hold onto while lifting it off your Blazer.

Sorry for being so long winded.
    Take care and good luck.

4. Skyetone

Skyetone 1/2 ton status

So if I used straps and a cherry picker would the front and rear of the flat part be ballenced enough to move it and put it somewere?
    300lbs eh... I was just wondering that..... Haven't lifted it yet..

5. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

I helped a friend of mine store his top by bolting a pair 2x4's along the length of the top with a few inches hanging out of the back. Then we tied the two together with a couple more 2x4's. Then we were able to stand it up length wise up against the side of his house. Be careful though if you go this route. Wind or kids(God forbid), could knock it back if it's not in a secure area. But if you have space and access to say the side of your house, it workes fine.

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Welcome to the ADDICTION!!!!!!!!!!!!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

First off I Hate my hard top but can't seam to get the gumption up to just get rid of it so I will keep it for now.
    The first couple of years I stored my top in the garage leaning against the wall. This place was a rental unit with a one car garage. When it came time to move I put the top back on and the damn thing was warped! I could not get one side of the bed rail holes to line up. Only about 1/2inch off but the bolts still would not go thru the holes. The front windshield part lined up fine and the tailgate part did too???? So my conclusion was that sitting against the wall fer 2yrs alowed the damn thing to warp. So I left the bolts out and moved. Once again the top is off my rig and now leaning on the side of my house and doubles as a 'leantoo' or shelter for my lawnmower & edger/forums/images/icons/smile.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif. Someday I may just trash it???
    Good luck

7. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

My dumb a$$ put it down flat in the backyard. Unfortunately, my pit bull, Mack decided that weather stripping taste good. He chewed up the front window and door strips. Needless to say I won't do that again. I now store it in the front yard right next to the house.

Chris M

8. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Kev, welcome to the k5gen 1 addiction! Suspending the top seems to be the most space efficient way to do it. I just took mine off 2 days ago. 2 neighbors helped me, they grabbed the sides near the back (I had already lifted it up enough to get some 2x4 blocks under it). I stood inside the truck and used my back to lift, and walked toward the tailgate. Then stepped off the back worked my way around to the front of the top and grabbed it and we moved it into place. Currently using the back yard, but will move it into Dad's storage building next trip his direction. Anyway, DO use 2x4's to keep the sides from "splaying" out. However, I just used a flat drill bit and drilled holes big enough for the mounting bolts to penetrate, plus sprayed wd40 on them to minimize rust buildup during storage. Then you know where your bolts are, and save the threads, etc.

Good luck and enjoy!

9. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

It seems I have found my twin. Ive got a 1970 hugger orange blazer with 33's and 4 inch lift and Im a sophmore in highschool. Talk about pimpin when you take the top off man. People told me it would be a chick magnet and i was just like "yea yea whatever" but it really is. They dig the biga$$ convertable trucks especially in orange. Good luck with your hardtop, Ive got my new soft top on order from kayline. The hard top is a big annoyance. Its loud, chattery, and it leaks. And dont forget about the noticable performance gain when you shed 300lbs. Can you say "burnout"

Evan

10. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Burnout.......did someone say burnout....pictures, movie I want documantaion!! LOL

11. Kev71

Kev71 Registered Member

haha, i was thinking the same thing when i saw your bio on a diff post. im a sophmore too and your blazer is defn just like mine , cept i have the 71-72 grill ( ill take pics soon). But i think you win cuz you have a dixie horn....But yea im ready to get a black fastrac as soon as i get the money, let me know bout how your installation goes.

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

all right for the sophmores!! im a soph to...fixing up my 84 blazer right now..well....i like the idea of making a stand out of 2x4's..tall enough so that the truck can go or back up into it and fit under it with the cap OFF..back up to it..and slide the cap of onto the stand...and then drive out..and you could liek brace the stand with cement or something. thats what i plan to do...right in my backyard. makes it so theres not to much lifting and such to do!

Bryan-later

13. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

I ordered the black snap top because I've been hearing some bad things about the zippers and the instructions for the fastrac. The fastrac does look more appealing but I don't think the extra $80 and complexity are worth the good looks when the only time I'll have it on is in the rain. Thats just my opinion.

Evan

14. Kev71

Kev71 Registered Member

O well, when u get it installed letme see the pics and ill know just how mine will look with it!

15. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

Before I got my own place and could suspend my roof from the rafters, I used to put my roof on two saw horses. This kept it up off the ground and allowed all four us us to get a hand hold when it was time to get it back on. It was cheap and easy (Just the way I like 'em).

Rod