Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hard top storage?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TwistedSkipper, May 28, 2006.

1. TwistedSkipper

TwistedSkipper Registered Member

Hey all, thanks for your help and advice thusfar. With summer coming, I of course am dying to take my top off of my 83 for the first time. My garage space will be limited, so I was wondering if I could stamd it up and lean it against a wall, instead of taking up half of my space by laying it flat? Both slider windows are already cracked!:D

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That's what I do...

[​IMG]

Rene

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Me too.

4. baldamish

baldamish 1/2 ton status

Once i build my new pole barn, my intention is to build a pulley system to lift it off the truck and then stow it up above head height. That makes for a safe, clean and one person removal, plus it's out of the way! Until the new garage is built, it sets underneath my covered porch on a few 2x4's.

5. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

Next spring im going to be building a 4 legged structure if everything works out, with two arms ontop, and two arms sticking out. Ill be able to back up the jimmy so that the arms go in the back window, then ill be able to lift up the top from inside, put some mini-blocks or rollers under it, and drive the truck out. Then i can just slide the top onto the main part. The arms may be hinged, Depends on what i can work out, Still in planning stage..Hinges may not work with 300 lbs.

Ill have to experiment over the winter.

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

a few years back my dad and i both had fiberglass caps on our trucks, and we would take them off on occasion. we built a rack out of some pressure treated 2 x 6s and 4 x 4s we had laying around. its about 7 feet square, with crossbars at knee height, and chest height. it worked nicely for storing both caps when they were off. now that neither of us have caps, it works nicely with a piece of plywood to dry out firewood.

7. shockline

shockline Registered Member

cap related question, does anyone know if there is a quick release kit for the bolts? I was looking at my bike tire quick release and trying to come up with a way to remove my top with out the use of tools.

8. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

Hopefully there is, Ifnot theres always the softtop, the softop folds down behind the rear seats like a convertable, At least the STC ones!