Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hard Top woes ...

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72BlazerTravis, Jan 8, 2003.

1. 72BlazerTravis

72BlazerTravis Registered Member

My hard top is completely shot, its a little cold here in Missouri to go topless year round, any ideas on something I can rig up to keep the rain and snow out? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

Is the back hatch any good? What problems does it have?

3. 72BlazerTravis

The back hatch is cracked dead center down by the latch. Most of the bracketry that swings it open has been pulled out of the fiberglass. It's missing a window in the driver's side, and it leaks, i noticed last time it snowed I had water dripping inside the cab THROUGH the top in several places. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

as far as the fiberglass problems, here's something that works on fiberglass boats...go down to the marine store and get some marine epoxy and cab-o-sil type epoxy thickener, as well as some fiber glass tape (total of around $30-$35). drill out the ends of any and all cracks with a drill bit the diameter of which is at least twice as large as the crack width. then mix it (the epoxy) up and thicken it with the cab-o-sil. now take a bondo spreader and muck the stuff into the cracks and loose hardware ports. (on the cracks, lay some tape over the muck, and then muck some more on top of it.) as the epoxy starts to cure, dress it up with something sharp like a razor blade in order to remove any imperfections from the spreading operation. you can also texture it using some mylar by just touching it to the tacky epoxy, and then pulling the mylar away gently, thus leaving a surface similar to the existing top. now sand, prime, and paint.

5. 72BlazerTravis

That's assuming I want to lug that heavy thing on and off all the time. That thing seems twice as heavy as the one on my old '73. I think I'll chop the fiberglass top just in front of the windows and make a sort of 1/4 top out of it. Not sure yet.. I know I don't want to be taking that thing off and on. Sheesh.

6. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

Get a soft top man. So much quieter and lighter then the hard top and if your heater works its warm enough down to about 15 degrees. Below that and you have to wear a jacket. My Specialty Top actually seals way better then my hard top did. You can check out pics on my site below.

Evan

7. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I have been toyinh with selling my hard top it in very good shape, I'm in KC

8. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

quieter?????

nathan

9. 72BlazerTravis

Yeah I'm thinking a soft top would be awesome. I really lack the funds though. Maybe in due time.

10. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

yea, I hear they are quieter. granted you do get more outside noise, but if you do it right, it wont flap and you dont get any of the 30 year old squeaks and clicks that the hard top makes, im looking into a softy for mine. until then, I gotta lug my hard top on and off, its is a heavy beats, ever hard to do with 2 people.

11. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I put a softtop on my 72 and never looked back. The STC tops fit very well and dont flap about. Plus, its really nice to pull off all the windows in the sun and not get burned but still feel the wind. Plus, you can get them with tinted windows.

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Mine's quieter with the top down for sure, but probably louder with the top up at highway speeds, beyond that, they're about the same with the soft top up

13. Rhody

Rhody Registered Member

I tried to post this on the For Sale board but I can't seem to do it. I have a 72 Blazer in St. Louis, MO that has a hard top with a brand new lift gate on it. I also have a Specialty FastTrac softtop that is about 1 year old. I am considering selling the whole truck with many new parts that I have purchased and have not put on yet. If anyone is interested in any of the parts. e-mail me at vanassme@hotmail.com.

14. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i actually found one that was cut and made to look like a pickup cab.the guy fiberglassed the rear hatch to the front about a foot behind the doors.im going to the JY and picking it up tomorrow to run in the summer.i was actually thinking of making it the same length as the 75 and up blazer and adding a rear softtop for the summer driving.

15. Blazerholic

Blazerholic Registered Member

I was checkin' out www.blazerowners.com and saw a post about a guy who apparantly just finished making a mold for the ultra rare 1/2 hard top. Claims he'll have pic's posted this week sometime and that they will soon be available. He listed a site address that I can't recall /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif. I'll have to get back with that.

16. Blazerholic

Blazerholic Registered Member

Website is www.myrodshop.com Didn't have pic's up as of 1/12/03 but as I said in my previous post, he says "some time this week". It's actually a freind of his that created the mold. His number is 940-575-2594. Said ask for Allen Mays or Tim Brown if Allen isn't available. Must be pretty nice too, 'cause he calls it "a true work of art". (probably means : outta my price range /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif) /they're out of Fort Worth TX