Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

What are the pros and cons of two wall vs 1 wall?

What vehicles got which?

How is every one taking these off and putting them on other than the old 3 man lift?

And what hardware is required for a single wall?

2. homemadesin

homemadesin 1/2 ton status

My take:

Single wall
    lighter
    bolt to the body from the top (easier to remove)
    through bolting
    Double wall
    heavier
    more tendancy to sag on top
    bolts to the body from underneatch (need to remove side panels for access
    threaded inserts in top (if breaks loose....)

I think the choice for one or the other was by customer. It seems the original buyers bought basis their climate (northern and high country chose double wall and southern and coastal chose single wall).

It seems that almost all K5's had the hard top from the getgo.

I've only taken my single wall (bought in CA) off once. I used 4 hooks in garage ceiling and 4 tie downs attached to hooks and 2x4's underneath front and rear. I did it solo by pulling each corner up one at a time.

I am itching for Bestop to make a soft top and when they do....the H/T is outta here.

3. Stroked72Blazer

I planned on ditching the hardtop, but it does a good job of keeping trees and branches from hitting you in the head when making new trails.

Trails we don't need no stinkin trails!

4. kiley

kiley Registered Member

There have been some previous posts on hanging a hard top from the ceiling of the garage. I use 2 2x4's & 4 cables. There are 4 pulleys hanging from the ceiling. The cables are attached to the 2x4s, run up to the ceiling, through the pulley & back down where they came from. I put a loop at the end of the cables to loop around each end of the 2x4s to hold the top up. I can try to find some pictures or draw it out if you need.

5. Stroked72Blazer

I've thought about doing that but don't know if I want to tie up that much space in the garage. How does this effect the rubber?

6. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

do us a favor and fill out the rest of your profile no one knows where your from... thanks

7. Bill4rest

Bill4rest 1/2 ton status

So no treadlightly in AK /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

im pretty sure the top you got depended on if you had a/c or not also.if you hAd a/c i think you always got the double wall for insulating and keeping in the cold air.my truck came from the factory with the soft top.the guy i bought it from had torn it off and trashed it because it had holes in it.the holes didnt line up real well when i put my hardtop on that i got off a parts truck and the rear bolts where the rear support wasnt even drilled and tapped for a bolt to go so im pretty sure the guy that i bought it from knew what he was talking about.

9. kiley

kiley Registered Member

Mine has a/c & a single wall top.

10. Scorpion

Scorpion Registered Member

I've had both on my '72 and here's what I know about single and double tops:

Double walls tend to sag in the middle (like caved in) and I've had a difficult time finding one that isn't. Single wall's don't appear to have the same problem.

I could be wrong but I think that the single wall top came only on the '72 blazers but again, that's just rumors that I've heard during my search.

Single wall tops have lights that are built into the top and a plug for them on the drive side pillar. If you find a single wall top, make sure to ask if they have the plug and wire that plugs into the top from the truck because they might just have it too and you'll want it.

As for better heat retention, I don't believe that one or the other is any better at least I couldn't tell a difference between the two.

If you find a good hatch, go ahead and get it because it will mount on either the single or double walls no problem. They're hard to find (in good shape) and chances are, if you find a top, the hatch will be broken.

Hope some of this helps!

11. homemadesin

homemadesin 1/2 ton status

Scorpion, you're killing me - I just crushed my rear hatch on the single wall I have and was hoping to find a good hatch.....damn! I want to get a softtop bad. I woonder what a single wall w/lights and plug, tinted windows would sell for..... hmmmmmmm

12. Scorpion

Scorpion Registered Member

I think finding that hatch would be a pain...I've looked. I have two addresses for companies that sell them new (or reman).

Classic GM Sports and Cheyenne Super-Man

They both appear to be in the same price range (on is $50 less I think) and around $300 - $400 mark.

If you find a mess of used single wall tops that are in excellent condition, look me up /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

13. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

mothertruckers also has new hatches. I believe they want $385...

14. Stroked72Blazer

Mine also came with a/c and has a single wall. I need a hatch but I also want to see some pick of the hardware used to install the top. Any other pics of stock interior would be greatly appreciated.

15. bdkmiller

bdkmiller Registered Member

ok, I've always been confused about this.
    I have a double wall top which bolts from the bottom & has lights. I also have a single wall top which bolts from the top & also has lights. I have heard that double wall tops do not have lights...
    What gives?
    Brian in Orford NH

16. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Somebody installed lights in your top.Double walled tops never came with interior lights.