Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hard water spots

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Jun 22, 2006.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

how do you remove hard water spots? the complex sprinkler system ha been hitting the wifes 05' black civic. any suggestions?

2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

vinegar & water, or lime away , may want to rinse after the lime away, and towel dry the area (to prevent spots) :wink:

3. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Use a light duty rubbing compound on a soft terry towel. I use it on customers cars and it works great, and it doesn't take a lot of effort.:D

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have always used vinegar and it has worked. I would be leery of lime away doing something to the paint but I have never tried it.

5. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

Grab a Mothers Clay Bar from your local auto parts store, it will take out stuuf in the paint you didn't even know was there. It is time consuming, but more than worth it in the long run! I did it to my Camaro and it took me a whole weekend to claybar the entire car, but I never saw it shine so brightly!

6. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

Definitely use the clay bar.I used it o my 2002 Ram Air T/A and removed the rail dust out of the rear bumper not to mention that after doing the whole car
    a fly could slip and fall on the finish now:haha: .

7. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

This works very well! I had them on the glass of my old car for years and years and this took them all off (I actually used straight vinegar though).

8. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that's why I mentioned rinsing it off. I'm not sure what sort of effect it would have either. I would think it would be OK if you didn't leave it on long. Lime away would work pretty fast, so having it on too long shouldn't be a problem. The vinegar should be plenty good though.

9. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Get the car in the shade, and make sure the paint is cool before you start.

get a clay bar, and wash the car.. get a panel good and soapy, then use the bar.. don't forget the windows.

if the spots are still there after you rinse it off, spray some windshield washer fluid on the spots, and rub lightly with a microfiber cloth until it disappears.

Now would be a great time to wax it, if you haven't done so..

washer fluid and a microfiber cloth also works for getting the embedded bugs off the nose.

Don't waste your money on the 'clay bar lubricant', all you need is soapy water, it'll work like a champ. And don't use it in circles, go in a straight line back and forth. ( same with the wax, you don't want any swirlies in there )

Tom

10. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

lime away will also work fine. we use it on our boat all the time with no problems.