Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hardcore K5 wheelers, for lack of better term.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CK5, Aug 26, 2003.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

We all know that the stock wide as hell body just won't cut it for the fun trails so what are your plans, S-cab swap, cut off the skins and move them in, cut off the outer only, or simply pound the bitch untill it looks like mashed potatoes. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Just curious what you plan on doing. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Once I'm actually back out on the trails, I plan to take the "Marv Springer" approach to body modification until the body just won't hold on to the frame anymore, then it's time to do an extended cab S-10 cab and front clip swap with a flatbed. </font>

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Taper the front fenders first.... Havent decided yet, but been thinking about a truck cab with some nice sliders to keep the trees off the doors and back of the cab... and some kinda Flatbed thing... I like crwln73's setup on the rear of his rig........ these mods are a couple years away though..

4. CK5

You know, I like that idea BUT you will still get body damage on the S-10, then what? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

if the tires fit the rest eventually will, right? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> An S-10 is so much narrower that it would allow for tubework on the outside that would take the brunt of the abuse. I'm kind of thinking that I could do a full exo cage but run tubework through the sides of the truck to get better triangulation out of it, since exos are awful hard to build strong enough to take a hard roll because of the lack of triangulation. Baically just run diagonals through the cab to the other side of the cage, peircing the truck with the tube on both sides in the process. A flatbed/cage thing on the back would help with triangulation too.

If what you're trying to get me to say is "I'll build a full tube buggy"... I have neither the skills or facilities to do that, although at some point in the distant future it would be nice to do. Of course the whole S-10 thing is way off in the future too, so there ya go. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif</font>

7. CK5

This is a Toyota cab on a K-30 but you get the idea, could easily be an S-10 etc..

[​IMG]

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I wouldn't even be set on an S-10, basically whatever I found for cheap would be what I use. I told my wife that rather than selling my 99 S-10 I was just going to put the body on the big truck. She didn't like that idea... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif </font>

9. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

I have alread taken the "Pound the Bitch" approach, and have been thinking lately what am I going to do when it just won't stay together anymore.

Here are my thoughts. Once the body just won't stay together anymore (won't be long now), my plans are to totally cut the skins off and tube the outer to allow a outer skin of the same body style to be attached to the tubing. I won't give up the inner body, just the outer skins. I don't want to give up the size of the blazer. It's just too family friendly, and camping friendly. I will bobtail the rear, but I like the look of the first gen body style. It's going to take some work, but I like my blazer way too much.

If that does not work, I will probably go to a Cambell Ent, 4 seat buggy with all GM parts.

Rob

10. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I hate to say it but that is why I bought a Jeep. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif I am going to put a GM drivetrain in it. I might just swap the body on to the Jimmy frame but not sure yet. We will keep the 90 Blazer and try and keep it somewhat straight but for the serious stuff we will run the Jeep. I'm at the max hight now with the 90 according to PA law so building a trail only rig is the best option.

11. CK5

[ QUOTE ]
    my plans are to totally cut the skins off and tube the outer to allow a outer skin of the same body style to be attached to the tubing.

[/ QUOTE ]
    This is kind of what I was thinking when it is time of course, I just have to get over the idea of wanting to seal it up with a soft top, but I don't really run it during the winter anyway but it is nice when it rains heavy. Hell, I could cut the skins off and simply bolt them to my cage.

12. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

That's the idea I was thinking, using some sort of fastner that the racing guys use and have the ability to remove the panels at will, and or replace at will.

Yea the idea of sealing up with a top or doors is not really an issue in AZ, besides I can't part my junk in my driveway, the Homeowners Association would have a fit. It's parked in the gorage. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

The replacement panels are not that hard to find even for the first gens.

Rob

13. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

I always thought this was good for keeping space but slimming it down as well

14. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

You know my answer. If it don't make it go, or protect your but, cut it OFF! Simple, effective, light weight, and cheap... Who needs bling?

15. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Bash the factory sheet metal and then tube it, applying BadDogs weight loss program and ditching everything unnecessary. Maybe slap on some "skins" to keep the blazer look. You could just skip the bashing part and go straight for the tube, but what fun would that be /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BIGJ

16. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    simply pound the bitch untill it looks like mashed potatoes.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif that's my idea of having fun.. but after it's all done for i'm planning on tubing the truck and prolly not even worrying about skinning it.. kinda like scoobydannn's front with watson's cab and crwln73's rear..

yeah i think that'll look cool..

17. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I have an idea! Just go though upper hell. at BB03 and don't use a winch at all and I promise the K-5 will be alot smaller and it will give you a good reason the rip the whole damm body off. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. CK5

[ QUOTE ]
    You could just skip the bashing part and go straight for the tube, but what fun would that be

[/ QUOTE ]
    Exactly, I have much bashing to do before I would do anything drastic, no sense in taking off a pretty good body. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

19. CK5

[ QUOTE ]
    I have an idea! Just go though upper hell. at BB03

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well, I plan on it, maybe I should go up to the waterfall and then turn around and go back as to get BOTH sides real good. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. CK5

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

I always thought this was good for keeping space but slimming it down as well

[/ QUOTE ]
    He left the K5's number one problem though, the width. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif