Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hardtop must go back on...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ArrowheadK5, Sep 1, 2001.

1. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

It's getting to be that time of year again up here in Duluth (NOT kidding, it's getting cold), so I need to put the top back on the ol' 87...
    Anything I need to know before bolting her back on? Maybe some vaseline on the seals? Also, the manual says something about putting the bolts back in in a particular order, anybody do this?
    Thanks, Tom

Four wheel drive, four wheel expenses...

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I've never had a torque sequence - I just do the cab bolts, then the rails from front to back. I like to spray the seals with Silicone spray - it keeps them nice and pliable, and safe from sticking.

1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila Floor
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Sorry cant help you on this. Its still 100 plus here. Not only that it doesnt get cold enough to really have to worry about that. Just turn the heater all the way up.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

4. ArrowheadK5

Thanks alot Dueler, you make me feel better. I've been using the heat full-blast for a few weeks now at night. Really sucks since I don't have a heated garage all my work on the truck has to end soon, too. Plus SCHOOL starts. So thanks, seriously, man.
    PS: At least I can go bird hunting soon! LOL

5. DesertDueler

We can go bird hunting here soon too. I was just joking with you, I am from Michigan. I know the kind of weather your getting. Thats why I moved out here.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

6. ArrowheadK5

Ah, you do understand. I was J/K anyway. What do you hunt down there?

7. DesertDueler

We hunt dove and quail.

8. ArrowheadK5

So you've prob shot some MI Ruffed Grouse in yourday too huh. Oops, sorry, this is a 4x4 board, not a hunting one! Oh well, good luck this season.

9. DesertDueler

Good luck also. :)

10. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

i do cab bolts first then rail....just makes sense to me...get it tightened into the cab first and then flush it up and tight with the bead rails....if you did it backwards it seems to me like it wouldnt quite seal the same...

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed

11. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I just find 2 friends, some beer, and it's on. I planning on doing this around November though.

12. OneLeft

OneLeft 1/2 ton status

13. 77Blazer

77Blazer 1/2 ton status

too bad you guys dont live in so cal :) I will give away mine for a six pack and 2 lap dances at the local nudy bar :) so if you want it just let me know. Its located in long beach CA

350, sm465, NP205, 14 Bolt w/Detroit locker(465 ratio), Dana 60 465, 38.5 swampers

14. mine's been on and off like ( insert whore clothing item here)... no leaks.

yeah like they said some silicone will help the seal, and do the cab bolts first... actually, i have three bolts in the cab, and four in the siderails... that's enough in my case to keep it on, although in a crash situation it may rip out.... but if it's subjected to that kind of punishment it's probably toast anyway!!

it's hot here in texas, too.... i'm ready for fall, then i aim the money from the jetski to the 4x4....

greg

15. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

I lost the centering pins in the back section of the rails, makes the top easy to slide on...I start all the bolts starting with the cab, then tighten the cab first, then the rails..of course I only do this when it gets cold...hmmm it never gets cold here oh well the soft top will just have to stay on!!!

Later
    Veni Sancte Spiritus
    Da Pacem Cordium
    White Knight

16. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I usually start the rail bolts first but don't tighten them. Then I do the cab bolts and tighten them. Then tighten the rail bolts. As far as leaking, I have never treated my seals. But, make sure they seat properly. If one gets folded or has dirt or stuff on it, it could be a source of future leaks.

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>
    Who put a stop payment on my reality check?!?

17. collegeK5er

collegeK5er Registered Member

i've had mine truck for about 2-1/2 years, no cab bolts and no leaks. i'm now running 6 clamps on the bed rails and still no leaks but i don't know if i'd recommed it for every one. i take my top off and on all the time. would hate to see mine in an accident.

Doin' it all on a college budget

18. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

Well......I do not know about whore's clothing or other items mentioned here but.....in Key West, Fl, the coldest it has EVER been is about 42 degrees and that was in about 1890....the warmest is about 98 degrees in 1948. Sure, 42 is cool but bearable....I'll just keep the hardtop on for the "chilly"winters down here!

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html>http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html</a>
    So I says to him, I said, "get your own monkey."
    1986 K5, 350 GM Crate, 700R4, NP208