Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hardtop Nut Replacement

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5bushhog, May 31, 2001.

1. k5bushhog

k5bushhog Registered Member

Hello all, I am a proud new owner of a not so new 72 K5, I have the top off now and want to get it ready for fall before fall comes. Many of the nuts in the double wall top at the bedrail are missing. Is there an easy fix or am i in for an adventure......

2. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

it is not hard to replace the nuts but it does require cutting holes in the top. I used a 2" hole cutter to cut holes in the inside of the top above every bolt. there is a small metal strip with a threaded hole in it that the bolts go into inside. you can either rethread this hole or ream it out and put a nut on top of it. when you are done you can get rubber plugs for the holes. I went with a nice piece of oak screwed to the inside of the top to cover the holes. it looks nice and provides access to the holes when needed.

3. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Another way to do this is to drill out the rivots that hold the metal strip in and then cut a hole in the interior side of the top at the rear. Slide the metal strips out. Take these to a welding shop and have new metal strips and new nuts put on. I took the old ones and they matched them. They also used 1/4 inch thick metal and high grade nuts. I then re-rivoted the strips in and fixed the holes in the top.

I paid $20.00 for the metal work.

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

anyone got pics of how this worked? why not just take the nuts out completely and fasten it like a single wall top? Just use the holes you made in the side