Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hardtop Removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric, Mar 21, 2000.

1. Eric

Eric Registered Member

86 K5 Blazer

Anyone have experience with removing hardtops? Will it leak when I re-install? Any suggestions or advice appreciated.

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Eric, remove all the bolts, lift the back end up slightly, while someone is in the back seat lifting the front off. You will see why you have to lift the back as opposed to sliding it.........there are two locating pins back there. A lot of guys here have some type of "rack" to put it on, I have owned 5 Blazers for the past 12 years or so and always just put it on some level surface. To re-install, make sure you seat it properly (not too difficult, just make sure you treat it gently and use 2 people) tighten the bolts connecting the top to the cab first (VERY important), then tighten the ones holding down the bed. This is how you avoid the leaks. Hope this helps.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

3. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

You may already know this but I didnt when I first got my blazer...There are 2 hidden bolts in the rear corners by the tailgate..you have to remove the trim panel to get at them. I tried taking my top off for the first time and thought boy this thing sure is heavy... And as for taking the top off me and my wife take it off all the time, so if we can do it you can do it!

5. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Taking off the top is a 5 minute process for me and my friend. It helps to only have 4 bolts holding it on too. There are 2 up front and 1 on each side. Surprising, it doesn't leak at all and it stays on too. When I bought my Jimmy and saw all that was holding the top on was 4 bolts, I thought the kid was insane. Haven't had trouble since I bought it. Makes the process a lot faster, especially on days it down pours and the top is off. Don't ask! HAHAHA

Alex

"What me get stuck? NEVER!!"(Famous last words)

6. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

I've been afraid of leaks myself but with all the info I've picked up on this board over the last several months, I'm going to give it a go this summer!!!! Would be nice to know more tips (e.g. making sure to bolt to the cab first on reinstall). Does the gasket stay on the truck while you drive around? Should it be treated with some spray silicone or something to prevent extra drying out? Maybe I should just read my Owner's Manual more.

Also plan on the pulley trick for removal. Try this for top storage ideas: http://coloradok5.com/topstorage.htm

<font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Take it off! I've been taking my hardtops off for years, never once had a leak...........tightening those top bolts first is one key, I have also been using armorall on the gasket (yes it does stay on the truck as you cruise topless) and have had no probs............

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

8. KP3100

KP3100 Registered Member

I have a 1990 K5, but the bolts holding down are something I've never ever seen. I want to know how to get them off.