Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hardtop removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Trigger, May 13, 2003.

1. Trigger

Trigger Registered Member

I was told you should never remove the hardtop because it will always leak after you remove it. Is that true? If I start taking it off would clamps be the easiest thing to use to make it a quick on and off removal?

2. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

If I am right and someone correct me if i am wrong the hard top adds stability to the body of the truck and I would think it needs to be bolted down not like a camper. I would use the bolts they were there for a reason. As for leaking depends on the condition of the gaskets that seal it they may be dry rotted and need to be replaced mine were so i bought new ones before I took it off and then put the new ones on .....Jason

3. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

well as far as the leaking goes it shouldn't. i haven't had any problems with mine. but as far as what to use for holding it on, it would use the bolts. but that is up to you.

4. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

Well assuming you mean the half cab type, I wouldn't suggest using anything but the bolts. Clamps wouldn't be much easier than the bolts, and it would be hard to get clamps to secure the top of the shell to the half cab. As for leakage, the only time I had problems with mine leaking was last year when I put the top back on with the seal around the half cab folded under wrong. If you have good seals it is meant to be taken off with no problem.

5. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

there is also a set way you are to tighten the bolts, starting from the ones bolting to the cab roof and working your way to the ends. Bolting the ends tight first then the cab could result in the cab not sealing and leaking.

6. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If I am right and someone correct me if i am wrong the hard top adds stability to the body of the truck and I would think it needs to be bolted down not like a camper.

[/ QUOTE ]
    well i would agree to that.. the other day off-roading with the top off,u can notice a big difference..the roof over the cab pops and makes weird noises without that extra stiffness.. but for leakin,just put it back on, if it leaks, check the seals.. or just dont put it back on till it rains!

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, pop it off, that's what it's designed to do! I would use the bolts to hold it on, I think clamps would be a pain in the arse. It only needs about 4-6 bolts to hold the sumb!tch on anyway....