Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hardtop Seal Fixes Needed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5XLR8R, Sep 26, 2000.

1. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

I think for now I'm just going to seal it with some silicone and call it good...hopefully...Any idea how much the pliable plumbers caulking runs for??..might try that...dont know...any other fixes??
    thanks!!

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

suck it up and pull $40 out and buy a new ones.There is an inner and an outer ($20 each) according to LMC who has them http://www.lmctruck.com I'll be ordering them soon for my wifes 79. I'll tell you what, I'll buy yours if you buy the ones for my 75 .....there a bargin at $200 plus the filler peice at $35 a side and while your at it be a chum and pick up the door uppers for $150 (not sure if thats a pair or each...hope it's a pair). hehe makes your sound cheap huh?

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

3. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I replaced all the seals on my 88 last weekend because they were leaking, they were $100 from LMC. The main leak I was trying to fix is still there but I am going to fix it this weekend. The old ones were a REALLY big pain to get off, it took my friend and I (mostly him) 3 hrs to get the old ones off, we used a knife, flat head screw driver and an electric belt sander. I know Klunky replaced his with generic weather-stripping, if you want something cheap talk to him.

Dawson
    88 K5

4. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I had a couple of spots that I could see through that was leaking water like crazy, I bought some pliable plumbers putty and strategically (sp?) placed it, tightened down the top hosed down all sides of the top and not a drop came through.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Before you spend any money try this: Take off all the bolts and then put the ones that go into the cab in first, tightening them all the way. Then, do the ones for the bed. This seems to solve most of the problems with the top.

90K5

6. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

mine started leaking a year ago and I just put some clear bathtub caulking on it, good to go so far.

7. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

I also have a leak with my hardtop. My truck is in the body shop now cutting out some old rusty metal and welding in some new as well as some fresh paint. I ordered the rubber seals for the truck and the cap from LMC Tuesday. I hope the old ones are not all that bad to take off - I do have an electric sander though. I developed a leak on the driver's side from what I can tell. When it rained hard the water would come inside behind the drivers seat, down the inside of the interior by the seat belt and settle on the floor behind the driver's seat. Hopefully the new seals will stop the leaks. I plan to have my top painted as well and then I'll put it back on with the new seals and possibly never take it off again. I also ordered the weatherstripping adhesive for the seals. Hopefully if I apply the excess very liberally leaks won't develop.

CHEVY - "THE HEARTBEAT IS GETTING LOUDER"

8. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

90K5's input will solve most leaking issues. Most peoples tops leak because they don't put them back on right after taking them off. Then the Blazers get a bad rap from everyone saying that they would never take the top off because it always leaks after. Tighten the roof bolts before the bed bolts when putting the top back on. Not doing that is the number one mistake. Of course some of you guys mentioned that you can see daylight because your missing chunks of wheatherstip and thats different. If you have had your top off and now its leaking, loosen everything and tighten the roof bolts first.

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

9. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

Mine never leaked until I replaced the seals. They were hard and cracked so I figured I'd replace them when I took the top off. Not too bad gettin' the old ones off. I used solvent. Took about an hour. But when I put the new ones on, I didn't put the side pieces close enough to the cab. Now it leaks at each front corner. So when you put new ones on, make sure the tabs stick way toward the front so this won't happen to you too.